sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Morrison. My 2002 Deville has a starting problem. I can

Customer Question

Customer: ***** ***** Morrison. My 2002 Deville has a starting problem. I can start the engine , go to a destination, turn the engine off, come back later, and the engine will not start. I can wait an hour of so and then the engine starts. This has happened about 3 times in last 3 days.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: On 1-7-15 I called Onstar and the car was towed to Carr Auto, Vancouver, WA. The service department could find no cause. The car started when it arrived at the auto garage.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Cadillac Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes, I can wait.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The first step in diagnosing the problem is to see if any fault codes are setting. Anything causing a loss of spark should set a code. I'm assuming that the shop checked for codes and found none.

If there are no codes setting then it's more likely to be a fuel issue. A hard restart when hot is often caused by vapor lock.

When you park the car with the engine hot, the high underhood heat will elevate fuel pressure in the rails, sometimes to the point of boiling. This high pressure can overcome a weak fuel pump check valve, pushing fuel back into the tank. This leaves mostly high pressure vapor in the rails and little fuel, so it causes a hard start or no start until the vapor collapsed and the pump can push fuel back into the rails.