Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Cadillac Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Cadillac Diagnostics
18617752

I have a 97 Deville northstar engine with a head gasket. I

Customer Question

I have a 97 Deville northstar engine with a blown head gasket. I want to know the "absolute best" head gasket sealer to repair my blown head gasket. Making the repair the correct way is (in my financial situation) out of the question. Thanks Pete
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, there is no "sealer" that can cure a head gasket leak completely and forever. These additives and sealers are usually just a temporary fix at best. With that said, in my experience, the "absolute best" head gasket sealer is "Bar's Leak". I've used it a few times on a few different vehicles and the results were definitely above average. It's available at just about any local parts store. If my answer has helped you, please help me by leaving a rating or accepting my answer so I may be credited. Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for my work. Please rate or accept. You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ron; Did you get my message from a few hours ago? I guess I was expecting answers from a tech that has used products (on a Northstar engine) that are out there that are pretty good at stopping the symptoms of a blown head gasket. I do know that there is no mechanic in a bottle that will "cure" my problem. I have seen products for up to $250.00 (with a money back guarantee). I have already tried the Blue Devil head gasket sealer (for $65.00) and had to get my money back. I also don't want to put something in the cooling system that might gunk up the works. I need a product that will work long enough to find another Cadillac (without a Northstar engine) and trade in my 97. What are your thoughts. Thanks Pete
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.

I've used Bar's Leak on GM engines before. Like I said above, there is NO additive that will completely and 100% fix a head gasket leak. It just won't happen. Again, as stated above, in my experience, you're best chance of a longer, short-term solution will be Bar's Leak.

If my answer has helped you, please help me by leaving a rating or accepting my answer so I may be credited. Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for my work. Please rate or accept. You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept.