Daniel Jones
Daniel Jones,
Experience:  GM A Tech at Straub Buick GMC
15093763

I have a "Service AFS Lamps" error message on my 2007 XLR.

Customer Question

Customer: I have a "Service AFS Lamps" error message on my 2007 XLR. Is this a bad bulb?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My name is Derrick
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Cadillac Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: When I start the car the error message displays. The lights do not do the scan
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Cadillac
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
How do I correct this error myself?Is this an error I can correct myself?
Expert:  Daniel Jones replied 11 months ago.

Hello Derrick

Welcome to the site. Thanks for coming. I'm ***** *****.
I'm here to provide as much information and insight as I can, to best answer your question.

The headlamp control module monitors the headlamp actuator motor control circuits for proper circuit continuity and for shorts to ground or voltage. If a malfunction is detected, a DTC will be stored in memory and the driver will be notified with a message displayed over the driver information center (DIC) located on the instrument panel cluster (IPC).

Thank you for posting your question.

Your business is very valuable to us.
Thank You
***** *****

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Daniel,I thought that the response would provide the details on how to correct the problem. I am looking for Shop manual fact/details on how to correct the failure. This is not the information I expected.Derrick

You will need a scan tool to check codes in the Headlamp control Module. If you do not have a scan tool it would be very difficult to diagnose your problem. Without the codes You would need every diagnostic chart for each code, which could lead to a misdiagnosis with out knowing what the Code(s) are in the system.

Here is a description of the system:

Adaptive Forward Lighting (AFL)

The AFL consist of the following components:

• Headlamp control module
  • Headlamp actuator – left
  • Headlamp actuator – right

Battery positive voltage is applied to the headlamp control module at all times and when the ignition switch is in the RUN and CRANK positions. The headlamp control module has an operational voltage range of about 10.5–16 volts and is only fully functional when the ignition switch is in the RUN position. The voltage input from the ignition switch wakes the headlamp control module microprocessor. The headlamp control module receives serial data messages via GMLAN from the engine control module (ECM), transmission control module (TCM), electronic brake control module (EBCM), and body control module (BCM) with regards ***** ***** mode, speed, steering angle, transmission gear selection, and headlamp switch status. The headlamp control module calculates the headlamp angle and sends commands to the left and right headlamp actuators. The headlamp actuators drive the headlamps to the position commanded by the headlamp control module. The headlamp control module monitors the headlamp actuator motor control circuits for proper circuit continuity and for shorts to ground or voltage. If a malfunction is detected, a DTC will be stored in memory and the driver will be notified with a message displayed over the driver information center (DIC) located on the instrument panel cluster (IPC).

The headlamp control module controls the left headlamp movement by 15 degrees to the left and 5 degrees to the right, and the right headlamp movement by 5 degrees to the left and 15 degrees to the right. The direction the headlamps move is controlled by the steering wheel angle and is limited by steering angles of approximately +/- 90 degrees. The AFL will not operate with the transmission in reverse or at vehicle speeds less than 2 mph. Movement of the headlamps is restricted at low vehicle speeds and full movement of the lamps is not allowed until vehicle speed is greater than approximately 30 mph. The following conditions must be met before the AFL will operate:

• Headlamp switch in the AUTO position and high or low beam headlamps must be active
  • Steering angle position must be received from the EBCM with the steering signal validity bit set
  • Vehicle speed must be received from the ECM with the steering signal validity bit set
  • Transmission gear position must be received from the TCM with the transmission gear position validity bit set

Below is a list of Code's:

DTC Descriptors

DTC B1461 00

Left Headlamp Horizontal Motor Circuit No Additional Information

DTC B1461 02

Left Headlamp Horizontal Motor Circuit Short to Ground

DTC B1461 39

Left Headlamp Horizontal Motor Circuit Internal Electronic Failure

DTC B1461 54

Left Headlamp Horizontal Motor Circuit Temperature High

DTC B1462 00

Right Headlamp Horizontal Motor Circuit No Additional Information

DTC B1462 02

Right Headlamp Horizontal Motor Circuit Short to Ground

DTC B1462 39

Right Headlamp Horizontal Motor Circuit Internal Electronic Failure

DTC B1462 54

Right Headlamp Horizontal Motor Circuit Temperature High

If you need more help, please use the "Reply" tab to continue our conversation - I'm happy to answer follow-up questions.

If you have no follow-ups at this time, please remember to Rate My Service.

Thank you for posting your question.

Your business is very valuable to us.
Thank You
***** *****