Tool Hut
Tool Hut, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner of a mobile diagnostics company assisting auto technicians with difficult vehicles
77480539

My 1998 eldorado theft system has been on since timing belt

Customer Question

My 1998 eldorado theft system has been on since timing belt replaced. I have tried the ignition "trick" did not work. I ordered the newrockies bypass module, did not work. Car will start but shuts off after a few seconds
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 11 months ago.

Hi, My Name is ***** ***** for posting your question to just answer. I am a independent contractor for just answer, and ASE Certified Master Auto Technician with 20 years experience. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.I also try to give all of the information you may need expecting a positive rating. I am not compensated for my time until you leave a positive rating.

Does you key have a chip in it?

Do you have a security light on dash when key is on?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It does. I tried the resistor "trick" but did not work. I bought the "newrockies" bypass module which did not work. Newrockies had me replace the instrument cluster. That did not work. Car will start and run, but shuts off a few seconds later. Problem did not start until timing belt replaced.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
it has security light on dash when key is on.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
You there?

I am unsure of why they said to replace cluster.

Check the BATT 1 and BATT 2 fuses in the right side MAXI fuse box.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Under the hood or in the trunk?

Under the hood near the regular fuse relay center. These are BIG fuses.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Give me a second and I will double check but I think they are good.

In the trunk is another fuse box. You want to check RLY IGN 1 fuse and the cluster fuse.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok

Do you have a test light?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Fuses are good. You mean a multimeter?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have a multimeter

A multi meter will work. Under the hood is the starter relay. I have attached a relay schematic can you verify voltage at 30 and 85 while cranking?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Which wires on this relay.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Here are a couple of photos

IT will be the red wire and the yellow wire

If you have power at yellow and red check the purple wire.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have about 12 at the red, nothing at the tiny yellow, about 2-5 at the big yellow, and about 2-5 at the purple.

OK. For some reason we are not getting voltage from the Ignition switch. are you confident the car is in park?

You can either check the next step at the ignition switch or at the transmission at the park neitral switch. Whcihever is easier

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Just tried to take out of park and back in park and it will crank but shut right off.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Let's go with the transmission. What am I looking for?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
These plugs?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
What should the voltage be on that small yellow wire?

Yes those plugs. Leave plugged in and check both yellow wires. should be 12 volts at both

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The small yellow wire has about .5 volts when trying to crank. The big yellow wire has 2-5. What should they be?

OK. The ignition switch is not providing 12 volts. can you check the batt2 fuse for power?

I am about done for tonight. We can continue tomorrow or I can opt out and have someone else assist you. Your choice

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Tomorrow will be fine. What time?

Dont know your time zone but I will be on around 8 am EST

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Won't work for me. I am est also. I can be available after 1PM.

I will still be on

I have not heard heard from you. Do you still need assistance? I have also noticed that I have not received a rating from you. Please remember that your rating should be based on the service you received. Not if you were unhappy about the results. If for some reason you question did not get answered please reply. I am only compensated for my time when you leave a positive rating. Your understanding is appreciated.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hey sorry something came up. I still need help and may be available tomorrow. Will you be on?

depends on time. I work my regular job tomorrow. I will try to watch for your replies and get to you as soon as I can

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No problem. Hang with me and I will give you highest rating regardless of outcome.

thanks