Amedee
Amedee, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  ASE certified Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

The battery drains over night and I suspect it is due to the

Customer Question

The battery drains over night and I suspect it is due to the clock on the radio remaining on. What can I do to fix it?
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Amedee replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question. Do you know for sure what is draining the battery? Can I start by getting your VIN?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Amedee. I don't know for sure that it is the clock battery that is draining the battery. I took the battery fuse out last night and the battery was ok this morning. I have noticed that the clock light is on after I shit the car door and it did not used to be that way. The vin nbr is 1G6e\12y0xu610556. Thank you. Harry
Expert:  Amedee replied 11 months ago.

Hello Harry and sorry for the delay! Did you remove the radio fuse last night?

Expert:  Amedee replied 11 months ago.

Would you like a test to help pinpoint the circuit the battery draw is on?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Last night I took the fuse out. It started fine this morning. I had issues previously where the security alarm would go off in the middle of the night for no reason. I took to a mechanic and he replaced control module. Cost me $600 and now A month later I am back to seeing the clock light on after I exit the car and the battery is dead in the mornings.
Expert:  Amedee replied 11 months ago.

Ok, here is the test you need in order to pinpoint the root cause of this battery draw. Disconnect the negative battery terminal. Put a test light between the negative cable and the negative battery terminal. With the key out of the ignition switch and the vehicle just sitting there (make sure the doors are closed) the test light should not light up bright. If it does, there is a draw! Disconnect one fuse at a time until the test light goes out. When it does, you have found the circuit that the draw is on!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am not a mechanic but I know the negative battery terminal, the two fuse boxes and the negative battery cable. What is a test light? Can I get that at Walmart or auto zone
Expert:  Amedee replied 11 months ago.

YES, you can get a test light at your local auto parts store.

Expert:  Amedee replied 11 months ago.

Hello! It's Amedee from just answer.

I am just checking in to see how things are going and to see if you need any further assistance?

Please let me know and I will be happy to help!

Expert:  Amedee replied 11 months ago.

.