Tool Hut
Tool Hut, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner of a mobile diagnostics company assisting auto technicians with difficult vehicles
77480539

I bought a 1999 Cadillac Deville with 95,000 ***** *****. It

Customer Question

Customer: Hi, My name is***** bought a 1999 Cadillac Deville with 95,000 ***** *****. It runs and drives fine, but the ABS, Traction Control, Service Engine and Service steering lights are all on. Several codes keep fluctuating from current to history every other drive cycle on the on board diagnostics.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: P0741 - I have had the TCC replaced along with both solenoids by a transmission shop, but still get the same code frequently.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Cadillac Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Having trouble typing. Also getting C1232 even after replacing the wheel hub speed sensor and connector harness. And finally C1241 Magnasteer circuit malfunction. I think all are related to the speed sensor signals to the ABS/TC control module.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 11 months ago.

Hi, My Name is ***** ***** for posting your question to just answer. I am a ASE Certified Master Auto Technician with 20 years experience. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.I also try to give all of the information you may need expecting a positive rating.

Which speed sensor did you replace? How did you obtain the codes?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Replaced the left front wheel speed sensor, wiring harness, and wheel hub along with new rotors and front brakes. I got the codes via the Driver Info Center display after holding the Off and warmer buttons on the A/C controls.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
C1232 indicates left front wheel speed sensor circuit open or shorted. C1241 says a circuit malfunction in the Magnasteer system. Would a fault in the left front wheel speed sensor circuit also set the C1241 trouble code? Would it be related to the C0741 transmission code?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I can't get this vehicle registered for license plates until it passes emissions.

The P0741 will not be related I dont think. My initial fear was that you had gotten the codes from the DIC (driver info center) Many times these are incorrect.

The C1232 must be corrected prior to the C1241.

Since you replaced the Left front (driver side) bearing and sensor have you cleared codes?

Do you have access to a scanner that has chassis data?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have cleared all codes several times. Other codes coming back after drive cycles are all in history: P0151, P0154, P1574, P1602, P1644, B1341, U1255, C1225, C1243, C1291, B2120, B2144, B2146, B2148, and B21650. I do not have a scanner, These are from the DIC. The 3 current codes have come up on scan tools at several repair shops that have serviced the car.

You have a variety of codes that do not appear related. I believe that the appropriate action would be to verify grounds and make sure the coolant system is not suffering from electrolysis.

I have attached a link to check for electrolysis. This was fairly common with an aluminum block and coolant that has not been properly maintained. Sometimes you have to have the coolant system flushed multiple times to cure and it not uncommon for multiple failures to occur shortly after curing it. http://www.aa1car.com/library/cooling_system_electrolysis_corrosion.htm

If the cooling system checks out have the battery terminal ends cleaned. Remove the bolts from the cables and get rid of all corrosion.