Pete, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  17 years Cadillac experience as a technician.
14928985

I have a 91 fleetwood brougham my digital dash and climate

Customer Question

Hello I have a 91 fleetwood brougham my digital dash and climate control won't light up plus car act like it's not getting fuel would my steering column have anything to do with my issue
Category: Cadillac
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you know how long it will take to get a answer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Due site policy we are only allowed to address one topic per question. If you can tell me which topic you wish to address in this post I will try and help you get it resolved. Let me know and we can work from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would like the first topic answered about the Cadillac
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

So you wish to deal with the digital dash or the fuel concern?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was thinking both were related my money has already been taken and no answer. So every time you respond to my text you deduct money? If so i would like to stop
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

They are not likely related and any money you have paid remains in your account as your, we are not paid unless you rate the service. No money has been deducted.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok well I looked at my account and it has already but i was figuring a bad steering column cause it looks like it's been changed and i read if it has a bad key it would disable the fuel pump and dash wouldn't light up
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

You are correct to some degree, a bad key will disable the starter to keep the car from starting, it will not affect the fuel pump. You can check the key with the test steps in the link below. Copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Key%20test%20Dec%2022.pdf

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I see I have two separate problems then.I don't know where to start first cause the fuel pump has been replaced yesterday I tried to start car it started and ran for two minutes then stopped then wasn't getting any fuel
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

The fuel pump should get its power from fuse 6 in the relay center behind the glove box. Start first with making sure its not blown. If its blown it will keep the pump from coming on.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok didn't know the big body Cadillac had a fuse box behind the glove box.I have to pull the glove box out? Its a relay or fuse? Very new to me wow
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Yes it should have a fuse box behind the glove box and you should be able to access it through the glove box. See the wiring diagram in the link below. The #6 fuse feeds the oil pressure switch which sends power to the fuel pump. Copy and paste the link to your browser to view the diagram.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Fuel%20pump%20diagram%20Dec%2022.pdf

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I'll check that out i just got to find out the problems with the dash now crazy car I will let you know about the fuse Very shortly
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Let see if we can get the fuel pump running first.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok going to find out now
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Okay, Im here if need be.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok pulled glove box out no fuses I know there are fuses on driver side under dash
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

The diagram shows the fuse to in in the relay center, do you have one perhaps out under the hood on the passenger side at the firewall?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will check
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

I have also enclosed a different wiring diagram, I sent you the one for the 1990 , see the link below for the 1991 which is similar . Both have the same fuses.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/fuel%20pump%20circuit%20Dec%2022.pdf

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Went under hood no fuse box.that fuse is not under dash on driver side?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok the Cadillac I have is the big big one rear wheel drive
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

All indications are showing it under the dash on the right side on the Fleetwood , have a closer look

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
your saying under dash same side as glove box?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

That what the diagrams are saying yes, right end of the dash underneath.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok going to find out now Went under dash passenger side all I see Is look like two silver computer boxes but no fuses
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Due to the age of the car there are no diagrams that show exactly where it is but I can assure you you do have a relay center just as shown in the wiring diagram I sent you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm so sure of it I will look other places and will get back to you.I will also look in trunk
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Okay good luck with the hunt.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok Ron found it I'm getting power to the fuel pump fuse and also the rest but the3amp fuse for the even I used a test light and that's the only one that won't light up
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

If you have power at the fuse then check and see if you are getting key on cranking power at the fuel pump. The fuse feeds the fuel pump through the oil pressure sending unit, check the gray wire at the fuel pump while cranking the engine and see if you get cranking voltage.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do I drop the tank
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

You may be able to access the power wire in the harness leading to the tank. Start there to see if you have key on cranking power.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should the ecm fuse light up
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Yes it should with the key on.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok that im not getting
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

What is the fuse number and its location?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
4 in the accessory relay panel
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

That may very well be your problem then, it power the computer system as well as the instrument cluster. Are both side of the fuse dead?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Okay then if you can find the cause you are likely going to solve both problem, The problem may be with the fuse panel its self. Can you pull the panel and see if perhaps you have a broken wire on the back side of it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok cause i checked the i/pump fuse and the crn/prk in fuse box and both have no power
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Most all the power to these fuse comes from the ignition switch. I have to wonder since the column has been changed that the problem is someplace between the ignition switch and the fuse panel.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The ecm wires on accessory panel where do they lead to
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

They run into the main harness. I would be looking at the harness from the ignition switch to the fuse panel. If you not getting power to these fuse then the problem is likely in the circuit from the ignition switch to the fuse panel.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm wondering also is there anything I should check
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Yes you need to check the circuit from the ignition switch to the fuse panel. The power to the fuses come from the ignition switch.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What number is ***** in the fuse box and also do you have a wiring diagram of that circuit
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Im not sure what you mean by what number the EEC fuse is #4 and the power to it comes from the ignition switch through the under hood fuse panel. See the power distribution diagram in the link below.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Cad%201%20Dec%2022.pdf

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Cad%202%20Dec%2022.pdf

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On that car there is a fuse box under the hood? I don't see that Wow.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the rest wheel drive have that
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Yes you should have a fuse box under the hood.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wow no fuse box I see on the firewall by the brake booster I see where a lot of wires are
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

There should be one, they do not offer a location but it should match the wiring diagrams.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well this might be cause it looks like one and the wires are coming from under dash driver side right next to brake booster
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

The under hood fuse panel in most cases is on the driver side under the hood. I do not know any reason your would not be there as well.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure if the rear wheel drive big body Cadillac had that and I'm looking every where the accessory panel is right next to fuse panel driver side under dash
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

The wiring diagram I sent you is for the Fleetwood. I am not bale to locate a diagram for location. If you would like I can open the question back up and maybe someone else has something new to offer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If you think that could help
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

It may, I am out of ideas . If some one can help you they will post back.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there any one that can help me with my problem
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I have to pay more to talk to someone else
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My Name is ***** ***** for posting your question to just answer. I am a ASE Certified Master Auto Technician with 20 years experience. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.I also try to give all of the information you may need expecting a positive rating.

Are you still having problems?

Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

Can you verify if the pink wire on the ignition switch has power with key in run position?

Also do you have a security light on the dash?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well my dash won't light up just replaced ignition switch I turn key to on position and turn on hazard lights climate control blinks with hazard lights no power to I/p fuse or ecm fuel pump fuse have power but won't come on
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It started up one time then shut off I think dash lights and fuel problem related with ecm
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

Can you locate the fuel pump relay?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Going to check pink wire now
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

Try to locate fuel pump relay. It is located in the relay center

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pink wire has power but noticed Windows and locks not working also could this all be related
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

I am suspicious you have a ground problem

Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

unfortunately due to age of vehicle I cannot get good schematics for a ground location. There should be main ground under dash. large black wire probably loose

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Shouldn't the ecm fuse light up with test light when key is the on position and you say a big black wire under dash or in dash what should it be grounded to
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

It should be grounded to the car body. Since your lights flash with the hazards leads me to a ground problem. Need to resolve before checking for power as the ECM can not transfer the power without sufficient ground.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I see a ground strap under hood that's bolted to firewall but don't know it go where should that be? It seem everything is getting power the instrument panel fuse is not lighting up ecm fuse not lighting up fuel pump fuse is that ground strap under hood is the only thing I see that's not hooked up what do you think?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Do you still need help with this here?

Let me know,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
please I'm not getting power to my ecm fuse my climate control blinks when I turn on hazard lights digital dash not working got power to fuel pump fuse but fuel pump not coming on new fuel pump Windows not working and door locks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I spray starting fluid in throttle body it will run until fluid burn off
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Was anything after market installed at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well the radio a while ago the car had gotten stolen and another steering column was put in
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Did the issues start after the radio was installed or after the steering column was installed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Steering column it was running at first I even replaced ignition switch
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

If the issues here started after the column was replaced and you have already replaced the electronic ignition switch this sounds like the fault is between the ignition switch wiring and dash or fuse panels.Trace this wiring and see if you locate any wiring or wiring connection issues needing repaired.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete