Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, 32 years exp,Cadillac 6 yrs
13677702

I own a 2006 DTS Cadillac with the northstar engine with

Customer Question

I own a 2006 DTS Cadillac with the northstar engine with 120000 miles. Car is still driving and riding excellent. With this mileage can I expect to have major problems with this engine? Will buy a new car but was thinking of keeping this one as a second car and driving until something happens then replace the engine, really like the way it drives.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Randall C replied 11 months ago.

Hello, I am Randall. I have worked for Caddy on/off past 20 years, I will honestly say, for one?> your miles are low for a 2006 so you obviously have not driven much etc, now,, to help answer? it sounds like everything is ok at this time engine / trans wise, What we have seen most often? lower engine oil leaks, There was a design flaw in the upper and lower oil pans and can leak some oil. No biggy if you do not mind drips and adding oil but to fix? the engine must be removed and very high labor times. This is/ was the most major item engine wise. I say keep up with all maint, oil changes, fluids etc and you should easily get another 70K + out of this, even more is possible, I just like to cap at 200K or close to it as over that? yes,, other repairs will come into play, no way around it. This si a solid ar and engine/trans, the oil leakage is really what stands out from a shop perspective and the GM errors/issues, I really feel you will be fine for a rather long time from here on out, I would maybe think diffrent if higher mileage, issues starting etc