Pete, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  17 years Cadillac experience as a technician.
14928985

I have a 2007 Cadillac Escalade and the rear backup sensors

Customer Question

I have a 2007 Cadillac Escalade and the rear backup sensors have stopped working. Is there an easy way to diagnose WHICH sensor is faulty without having to replace them one at a time and see which one fixes the problem?
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If they have all quit working with no signal from any this indicates the control unit/ecu has shut them down.This can make it difficult to diagnose manually without a scan tool.In some cases you can visually examine them for any damage to the sensor or electrical connection to the sensors to locate one or more needing replaced but if you do not see any damage physically you will need a scan tool plugged into your vehicle to check for fault codes in the park sensor system as well as to monitor the sensor data to locate the one needing replaced.

In some cases places like Auto Zone might read out fault codes free of charge as I have seen before.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have a basic scan tool and I get no fault codes. Auto Zone isn't going to have a better scanner, I've already tried.I don't know if all of them have failed. That's the problem. I get the light on the console to the right of the radio, pushing it will not extinguish the light, which indicates there's a fault in the system SOMEWHERE, the message on the cluster on car start says "Park Assist Off".The sensors are cleaned, contacts are fine, I'm just trying to find out if there's a simpler way to isolate which component of the system is malfunctioning? I don't trust dealers (or any shop really for that matter), which is why I have a subscription here. I work on them myself.
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

Unfortunately there isn't a manual way to test or check these here.Even if you unplugged one at a time it would still disable the system making it difficult to pinpoint.

If your scan tool has data display and you can communicate with the park system you might check the sensor data values to see if one shows that something is close to one of the sensors when nothing is actually in range as this would be the one needing replaced.

Thanks Pete