Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

WHAT DOES % ON DASH OF 2014 CAD ATS MEAN? HOW MUCH OIL IN

Customer Question

WHAT DOES % AMT ON DASH OF 2014 CAD ATS MEAN? HOW MUCH OIL IN SYSTEM...DO I NEED TO GET CHANGED??
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Jared D replied 11 months ago.

The oil life percentage is calculated with an algorithm that is specific to your vehicle. Once the oil life monitor system is reset, it will start to reduce the oil life percentage based on multiple factors, like idle time, mileage, cold starts, short trips, high RPM, etc. It takes all of these factors and calculates how much life the oil should have left before it needs to be changed. You should be able to get about 7,000 miles with average driving conditions before the oil life percentage gets down to about 5-10% and you should consider getting the oil changed. If you want to be a little more cautious you could shoot for changing the oil at about 30% or below. That would ensure that the oil isn't completely worn out by the time you change it.

If it's the first oil change on the vehicle you really shouldn't go longer than about 5,000 miles before changing the oil. Manufacturers claim that there isn't as much gunk left over in engines from the manufacturing process as there used to be, but it's still a safe bet to get anything that might have lingered from assembly out of the engine and get some fresh oil in there.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok so does it reset automatically once oil is changed ?
Expert:  Jared D replied 11 months ago.

No, it has to be reset by whomever changes the oil. You can do it yourself if you would like.

1. Turn the ignition to run (one position before starting engine).
2. *Use the DIC (driver information center) controls on the right side of the steering wheel to display the REMAINING OIL LIFE.
3. Press SEL on the DIC controls.
4. Hold SEL down for a few seconds to reset the oil life to 100%.
5. Turn the ignition off and start the engine to verify the indicator has been reset.

*Remaining oil life can also be reset by depressing the gas pedal 3 times within 5 seconds instead of using the DIC. - (turn the key to run and then fully press the gas pedal 3 times quickly and it will reset)

See more at: http://oilreset.com/?mf=38&mm=ATS#sthash.2LDb3HaZ.dpuf

Expert:  Jared D replied 11 months ago.

Please let me know if you need additional info.

Also, don't forget to rate. They don't pay us if we don't get a positive rating.

Expert:  Jared D replied 11 months ago.

Expert:  Jared D replied 11 months ago.

Just wanted to check and see if you need any additional info.

Please let me know if you do, and if you are ready to rate.