cloe0626
cloe0626, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  was a mechanic in the army for four years and have been working at a dealer ship the past five years
74954164

I have a 2002 cadillac dev was driving hen all wen crazy

Customer Question

Customer: i have a 2002 cadillac dev was driving hen all wen crazy every ligh came one service lighs speedo everyhing looked like chrismas when i parked everyhing wen back o normal except as said service as shut of wen o rwestart just clicks like dead baery
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: wont start just clicks like if battery dead just click click even when i let key go sill clicks
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Cadillac Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Cadillac
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
how do i bypass starer relay
Expert:  Edward replied 11 months ago.

Hello, Eddie here and I will do all I can to help. Do you have a volt meter by chance? or a battery tester? If not, have you tried to jump start the vehicle with jumper cables from another car's battery while it's running. Let me know , thanks.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i do have a mter.i have a lile jumpstarer but it did not seem to make a diff.
Expert:  Edward replied 11 months ago.

Alright, if you can put that meter on the battery, should read about 12.5 volts or little more is good, then if you can get somebody to start it, Voltage shouldn't drop any less than 10 or so. If any of those aren't right, I'd jump start it with a running car and cables, Then take the jumper cables off and check your battery voltage while the vehicle is running, It should go up to 14.5-15 volts indicating the alternator is charging. Check that out and let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
how do i bypass starter relay witch ones do i jump
Expert:  Edward replied 11 months ago.

I'm sorry, I don't have that information. Let me opt out and another expert can assist you.

Expert:  cloe0626 replied 11 months ago.
  • Pop the hood and locate the starter solenoid. It's typically on the fender well of the vehicle, near the battery.

• Get out the screwdriver and touch the metal end to the post that leads to the starter, opposite to the one that leads to the battery. You're going to turn the screwdriver into a manual switch, bypassing the solenoid in the process.

• Drop the other end of the screwdriver down, touching the metal on the shaft of the solenoid to both terminals on the solenoid. At the same time, have your assistant turn the ignition to start the vehicle. This will cause a lot of sparks and could pass electrical current through your body if you're not using a rubber-handled screwdriver, so be careful and don't touch the connections for long.

• Quickly remove the screwdriver from the solenoid. If it's left on too long, it can arc weld itself to both terminals, which is a bad thing. At this point, the vehicle should be running. If not, repeat the process.