Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  34 year as an ASE Tech
7276279

I have a 2006 Cadillac srx. The car is running great,

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Cadillac srx. The car is running great, everything normal when my wife and I went into a restaurant to eat. When we came out, I started the car and tried to put it into reverse. The shift lever wouldn't come out of park. I remembered reading
about what to do if this happened. There is a small hole on the right side of the shift console. I stuck a plastic thing, it looked like it was the right tool. The car came out of reverse and everything was fine. We drove the 25 miles home, I noticed the temperature
and fuel gauge weren't working but the engine was purring. In the driveway I put the car in park and got out. The key would not come out of the ignition switch.I fooled with it a short time, but just removed the remote keyless entry deal off the key chain
and locked the car with the remote, leaving the key in the ignition. This morning I went to unlock the car, everything was dead. The remote wouldn't work on the ing. or the windows It's as if the car battery is dead. What do you think happened and what can
I do to get the doors open. I don't have a spare key
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Ron replied 11 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Unfortunately if you do not have a spare key then the next option you have is likely going to be to contact your local tow service who usually offer a lock out service which can come out and unlock the car. Once you have this done you are going to need to charge the battery and connect your scan tool and scan the computer system. If you can get this done and post back with the results we can work from there.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I ordered a new key from the dealer. Opened the door with the new key. Charged the battery. The car started right up, I drove it around the block. Everything worked except the fuel and temperature indicators. I stopped car turned off the switch. The key still wouldn't come out of the ignition. I read in the owners manuel how to get the key out but depressing a spring under the steering wheel. I came right out but when I put the key back in and turn the switch it sticks again. I will have to take it to an auto parts to have the code read tomorrow. I'll let you know.
Expert:  Ron replied 11 months ago.

Okay let me know and we can work from there.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ron,
I took my car to the auto store and had them check the battery and run the computer diagnostics on it. There was nothing major wrong. I did say something about the anti theft system, and fuel delivery. The personal setting and engine data computer on the dash now indicates the starting system is inactive and the key should be removed from the ignition. Looking back to the night this problem started, I remembered my wife was fooling with the settings computer on the dash. She set the radio, and some personal settings and shortly after the problems started. Maybe she did something to the anti thief settings.
The car still starts and runs fine, the key has to be removed by depressing the spring under the steering column. Do you have any thoughts about what to do to reset the computer
Expert:  Ron replied 11 months ago.

You can try disconnecting both battery cable and touching them together for a few seconds and this should reboot all modules. Give this a try and see if it will resolve the problem.