rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

My 2002 Cadillac STS runs very rough and is using a lot of

Customer Question

My 2002 Cadillac STS runs very rough and is using a lot of gas. Occassionally, IT SMOOTHS OUT AND DOES FINE, BUT WITHIN A FEW MINUTES, it will start chugging and idling rough again. It has no pick up when it is running like this. What do you think the problem may be?
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in this business since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Please be patient!
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

If the check engine light is coming on, get the codes read at the parts store for better direction, but some of the main causes for complaints like this lead to low fuel pressure from a bad fuel pump or a plugged fuel filter. Also, a dirty or bad MAF sensor can also cause this.

Thanks, Ron