Dr.Carz
Dr.Carz, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  12 years of exp. 10 with ford on my third with all other makes.Just love cars
35496794

2006 Cadillac CTS 3.6 L V6 - Key stuck in ignition.

Customer Question

2006 Cadillac CTS 3.6 L V6 - Key stuck in ignition. Registers 12 volts but won't turn over. Get a "Service Theft System" message. Car was in storage and not started for two weeks when it got below freezing a couple nights. I've made sure battery has a charge, disconnected neg terminal and popped out fuses for theft and ECS, they were fine, put them back in. No change. The key came out once, so I thought I would switch to my backup set which is hardly used, and they are now stuck. Got a generic manufacturer code of U0100. Cleared it, but it comes back every time key is switched to on position. When I try to crank it over all dash indicators go blank. This car only has 90k miles on it and the entire engine was rebuilt under warranty a little over a year ago.
Category: Cadillac
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I should also say that I pulled the ECM Connections, made sure they were clean, with the neg bat terminal disconnected, left them off for 30 min and reconnected, reattached bat cable. No change.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The Service Theft system light coming on usually means the key has lost it programming. The first thing you need to try is to perform the Vehicle Theft Deterrent (VTD) System Learn Procedure. See the steps to do so in the link below. Copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view them.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Pass%20key%20relearn%20Dec%2010.pdf

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What you fail to recognize is that, as stated, my key is stuck in the ignition. AS I SAID it won't come out. Your answer also presupposes that I have a Master Passkey, whatever that is. I do not. First I have to get the current key out. Also, I've already tried the key on/off and wait drill. It's in all the forums. Doesn't work. I'd appreciate a little help here and please pay more attention to my post. I shouldn't have to tell you twice that the key will not come out.
Expert:  Dr.Carz replied 12 months ago.

How are you checking voltage if with meter they will show 12v but under a load sounds like it drops to zero or less than 9v in which modules will shut down and there are alot of them, I would start with a battery personally or connections but sounds like you all ready have. Not being able to remove the key is a voltage issue, you can have 12v been have insuffincent amps to perform tasks.

Expert:  Dr.Carz replied 12 months ago.

Curious how you made out with out the caddy?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Tried a brand new battery. Did the key learning protocol, finally got the key out and started it. Drove it around bit. It was registering 14.5 volts. Today I went to start it and the key stuck and it won't crank over. Key is still stuck, same as before.
Expert:  Dr.Carz replied 11 months ago.

Still a voltage issue? Is the battery dead again? Does the problem seem mechanical or electrical? This car and most GM's for some odd reason need power to release the key the final turn.If the battery is dead again then you have a draw something killing the battery. let me know I will be working today and will check in time to time.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No, the battery is brand new 6 year, and rated as OEM for the car. The problem is that when the car key is stuck and won't turn back to the last position, the dash lights, fog lights etc stay on and are obviously drawing on the battery. I have a charger with an start boost on it, but am hesitant to use it again, as it made no difference the first time I tried it last week.
Expert:  Dr.Carz replied 11 months ago.

This is all news to me the first post indicates in storage and possible low battery. see how that is cleared up you need to look into the park switch in the shifter assembly it controls the solenoid that allows for key removal in park. can you release the key while fiddling with the shifter?

Expert:  Dr.Carz replied 11 months ago.

Not sure why i did not see your response just happened to be going through older stuff. My apologies.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
To clarify, I purchased the battery a few days ago while going through this process. The original battery was over six years old. But it is doing the same thing with this battery as well. Started and ran for a day but the next didn't have enough voltage to start. I've had it on a charger but I can't get it to charge unless the positive terminals hooked up as it is side mount battery. I went and bought a Battery bolt today so I can charge it without it being connected to the vehicle. One strange thing is that I should be able to charge this battery with the negative cable off by grounding it to the body of the car. It won't charge that way unless both terminals are connected. So it may have a grounding issue. Checked all my grounding straps and bolts and they are clean and tight so I'm not sure what to think. I may have an unusual draw on the battery That drops It below the voltage needed to get that key out. Not sure what that could be either.
Expert:  Dr.Carz replied 11 months ago.

You can use your test light as a draw meter, remove the positive cable and attach in series one end of test light to the battery and the other to the positive cable. With a load such as dome lamps or radio the light will glow. Do not try to start the car with the test light hooked in series! So with test light installed you can determine the draw by the strength of the draw. Access fuse panels and one by one remove fuse and monitor light, you may have to trip the door latches with a screwdriver to shutdown interior lights. One the fuse is found that effects the test light you can then narrow the system down.

Expert:  Dr.Carz replied 11 months ago.

Sorry did not proof read, You can determine draw strength by brightness if light. You may want to test full power of light by testing prior to connecting in series.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'll give it a shot tomorrow and let you know.
Expert:  Dr.Carz replied 11 months ago.

sounds good

Expert:  Dr.Carz replied 11 months ago.

Any luck with the draw?