Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), Cadillac Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

I have a 2004 cadillac escalade with the 6.0..the tranny

Customer Question

I have a 2004 cadillac escalade with the 6.0..the tranny blew off earlier and we lost a few quarts of fluid, I filled it back up after fixing the problem and it is slipping in first gear now....
So can I put some Lucas in it to see if it will help..
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Gm Tech (Cam) replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, Ia m Cam. I am sorry to hear about this issue.

With this transmission, the 4L60E, it is extremely sensitive to low pressure and levels. There is little room for error on this one and to loose the fluid when the line blew off has caused the clutch pressure to drop and damage to occur. While it may be worth trying some Lucas treatment, I would be lying to you if I gave it more than a 10% chance of helping it.
Sadly I feel you need to either rebuild that unit or get a replacement. GM sells a line of reman transmissions, last one of those I replaced the unit was around 2000 and had a 100,000 mile 3 year warranty. Rebuilding it may have half or less of that.

Even though I can rebuild these, even if mine went, i would get the reman unit. Sorry for the bad news, but that’s what it is.