Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

I had a fuel pump installed at a shop. Now I have a very

Customer Question

Hi Gary, I had a fuel pump installed at a shop. Now I have a very strong gas smell when I fill the car with fuel. The smell is by the fuel fill area wheel well. Also, I have a p0440 code with a " Check Gas Cap" light on my dash which will eventually move
to " check engine". I know this is an EVAP problem, but I don't have a diagram to follow or what line to look for a leak.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  SARMIENTO22556 replied 1 year ago.

Hello, You need to take it back to the shop that replaced the fuel pump. They have done the job incorrectly. Either a hose is loose at the fuel filler pipe area or hey have torn or misaligned the rubber gasket on top of the fuel tank. This issue should not be your concern. It is totally on the shop that fixed it for you originally.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I understand what you are saying. I won't take it back there. Constant bad workmanship.
When filling the tank,it will overflow if you fill it all the way. Gas runs out by the back tire. I need to fix this myself. Tell me what to do?

ok you need to check the tube that goes from the fuel filler to the tank. hopefully the hose will be either loose or disconnected. you should be able to tighten or reattach the hose and be fine. let me know what you find underneath. take some photos if you can of the area