Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), Cadillac Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

I replaced the battery on a 2011 cadillac srx. now the car

Customer Question

i replaced the battery on a 2011 cadillac srx. now the car doesn't start and says no remoted detected.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Gm Tech (Cam) replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I am Cam. Can I get your first name please?

I am sorry to hear about this. Lets see what we can do.
Do you have a second fob?
Also can you post your VIN so I can see which exact option you have to get you the proper relearn procedure?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
3GYFNAEY4BS644865

Here is your relearn procedure.

Replacing Transmitters (Without SPS)

Note:

This procedure will unlearn all previously learned transmitters. All transmitters that are to be programmed must be with the vehicle at the time of service.

This procedure will take approximately 30 minutes to complete.

A total of eight transmitters can be learned to a single vehicle.

This procedure will only learn the vehicle transmitter information. This procedure will not learn any immobilizer information between the body control module (BCM) and engine control module (ECM).

This procedure may be used with or without existing learned transmitters being present. If existing transmitters are present, keep the transmitters away from the vicinity of the vehicle. Failure to keep learned transmitters away from the vehicle will result in the learn changing to the Adding Transmitters procedure.

1. Insert the mechanical key of the new transmitter into the key lock cylinder located on the outside of the driver door and turn the key to the unlock position five times within ten seconds. The driver information center will display Remote Learn Pending, Please Wait.
  2. After ten minutes, the driver information center will display Press Engine Start Button To Learn. Press the ignition mode switch. The driver information center will again display Remote Learn Pending, Please Wait.
  3. Repeat Step 2 two additional times, for a total of thirty minutes. All previously known transmitters have now been unlearned. Remaining transmitters can be relearned during the next steps. The driver information center display will now display Ready For Remote # ***** Note: The transmitters pocket is located inside the center console storage area. The transmitter must be placed flat in the pocket with the buttons facing down and the keyring at the rear. If a large keyring prevents the transmitter from laying flat in the pocket, remove the keyring and place the transmitter in the pocket. Failure to position the transmitter flat in the pocket will result in an inability to program.
  4. Place the new transmitter into the transmitter pocket.
  5. Press and release the ignition mode switch. When the transmitter is learned, the driver information center will indicate that it is ready to program the next transmitter.
  6. Remove the transmitter from the transmitter pocket and press the unlock button. To program additional transmitters, repeat Steps 4 through 6.
  7. When all additional transmitters are programmed, press and hold the ignition mode switch for 5 seconds to exit programming mode.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Followed step 1 but no success in Display reading PLEASE WAIT

Ok, lets try a global reset.
Take the battery cables off the battery, hold the ends together for 10 seconds then attach them to the battery and see what happens. This will reset the whole vehicle.
This reset is more about touching the cables together when off the battery than taking them off. The act of touching them drains the capacitors and forces it to reset.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok touched cables together so system should be reset. now what?

Now try the relearn again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
should the car door be closed when I turn the key 5 times and when I finish that process should the display immediately say PLEASE WAIT or do I have to wait 10 minutes for that?

It should read it straight away, and then the 10 min timer starts.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you did answer whether the car door should be open or closed when i turn the key 5 times

Sorry, door closed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
does it matter if i turn the key in the locking position or open position?

turn the key from the lock to the unlock 5 times.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
with the door open or closed????? and do I need to lock and unlock 5 times?

DOOR CLOSED, KEY IN, CYCLE FROM LOCK TO UNLOCK 5 TIMES then wait 10 mins for the message to clear.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will do.

ok

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
almost finished with step 2 (3 10 minute learning process). once finished with entire process and transmitter is learned will car start?

When all are done, yes it should start if that was the issue.

If it did not then its possible the surge when reconnecting the battery caused damage to one of the modules.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how long does it take to relearn the tranmitter once you put it in the pocket because i put it in the pocket and 2 seconds later it said learn transmitter 2 but gave me no indication as instructions indicate that Transmitter Is Learned. I went ahead after it said Learn Transmitter 2 and removed the transmitter from the pocket and followed the instructions to push and hold start button for 5 seconds but there wasn't anything on the display to exit from

as soon as it reads it which should be nearly instantly. If you relearned both then try to start it. I would consider turning off and exiting the vehicle for 2 mins first to fully cycle it.

And press and hold the ignition button for 5 mins to exit the programming mode.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
tried to start the car but it will not start. tried several things like windshield wipers, radio etc. Windshield wipers will not shut off, monitor says hood is open which it is closed, says to put the car in park which it is and car will not shut down.

Strange. That makes me think you had a surge. Did you verify all fuses irregardless of the label?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no fuse check. which fuses, interior box or under hood?

Both. Because of the way the computers work, power can be routed through obscure sources so we need to check all to be sure .