Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years experience
2947720

My 1991 Cadillac only has 30,000 miles on it. Starts, idles

Customer Question

My 1991 Cadillac only has 30,000 miles on it. Starts, idles fine but when you accelerate quickly the the whole care shakes and engine stutters. Let up, engine runs fine.
s
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site, I will be happy to assist you today.

.

Howe are the plugs and wires? Distributor cap?

Fuel pressure?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
plugs and wires were replaced last year. Distributor cap has not been changed. What I noticed when using cruise control it would start to work and then stop. At high speeds it seemed to work OK. This has the 4.9 PFI engine. Not sure about fuel pressure.
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

I see, thanks.

Let me just say that any money that you paid, or if you have a subscription, that money stays in your account until the answers are rated, (positive) regardless of how fast or how long it may take to get finished. You can FOLLOW UP AT ANYTIME, even after rating.

.

Most times if it stumbles pretty badly on acceleration, (and the wires are good) the spark will be diverted to the bottom of one of the screws that hold the coil in. That gives a real bad misfire. If you take the cap off you can normally see a burn mark, (it will be gray and have a little powdery look to it) on the cap.

.

Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

I can get the instructions for it and put it in a PDF file, (it is rather large) and send it to your email address for as little as possible.

.

You will just have to accept the additional service offer and ENTER your email address in the “ENTER CONTACT INFO” section so that I can see it, Thanks

Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

Please don’t forget to rate the answer in a positive way, . EVEN IF YOU HAVE A SUBSCRIPTION ****THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID ****