Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  34 year as an ASE Tech
7276279

I just picked up a used 2008 Escalade ESV, and the cruise

Customer Question

Hi. I just picked up a used 2008 Escalade ESV, and the cruise control will not engage. The little LED on the steering wheel comes on when I push the on/off button, but the dash light won't come on and the system won't engage when pressing the - SET button. I read the extended set of scan codes and code P0573 is active. I'm wondering if this is a known/common issue.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The code P0573 in most cases is set due to a failing Stop Lamp Switch which can affect the cruise control as well. In order to determine if the switch is the source of your problem you are going to need to do some testing. I have enclosed the steps in the link below. Copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view the steps.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/P0573%20Dec%205.pdf

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If the stop lamp switch was the problem, would the brake lights still function properly? They are working fine. If it's possible for the brake lights to work, but the stop lamp switch to still cause the cruise control to not work I'll test the switch with the scanner in the morning.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Yes the break light can work and not send the signal to the cruise system. The only why to know would be to do the test steps.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I tested the Brake Pedal Position indicator through the OBD test tool and it reliably followed my foot pressing on the brake pedal. So that is not the cause of my cruise control failure. What do I look at next?
Expert:  Ron replied 12 months ago.

Okay then the next step would be to scan the computer system with your scan tool and see if there are any fault codes setting.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
the one fault code specifically related to cruise control is the P0573 with Symptom 00. Just in case any of the other fault codes will help identify some systemic problem, I'm listing those as well. Other codes in the history are:
Powertrain: P1175, Symptom 00 (includes Freeze Frame data)
Driver Door Switch: B1023, Symptom 00; B1600 Symptom 02; U0140, Symptom 00
Driver Position Module: B1850, Symptoms 06 and 5A
Passenger Door Switch: B1023, Symptom 00; B1600 Symptoms 01, 02, and 04; B1605 Symptom 04; B1544, Symptom 04; U0199 Symptom 00
Radio: B1325, Symptom 03
Theft Deterrent Module: B3060, Symptom 00
I ran across TSB #PIT-5184 which lists inoperative cruise control among symptoms of a "SHORT TO GROUND ON STEERING WHEEL COIL CONNECTOR X2". How does one diagnose a short in the steering wheel coil connector? All steering wheel controls are working with the exception of the cruise control.
Expert:  Ron replied 12 months ago.

The active code P0573 is the one you need to address first as I mentioned in my first response, did you ever check the steps I sent you then?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I followed your test steps. That's what I intend to convey above. On step 2 the scan tool showed the BPP as Released when my foot was off the pedal, and Applied when I pressed on the brake pedal. Since the condition in step 2 was not satisfied, I skipped steps 3 and 4. On step 5 I found the correct voltages when the pedal is pressed and released. If that switch is good, what do I look at next?
Expert:  Ron replied 12 months ago.

Okay then the next step is to run through the long version pinpoint test for the code P0573 See it in the link below.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/P0573%20Dec%208.pdf

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Thanks for those details Ron. The pinpoint test procedures for Circuit/System Testing and Component Testing refer to circuit terminals (B+ and signal) and stop lamp switch terminals by letters A, B, C, and D. But the links in the document don't work. Can you provide the terminal diagrams (or cross-ref terminal names with wire colors) for those terminals?
Expert:  Ron replied 12 months ago.

See the diagram in the link below.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/crusie%20control%20Dec%209.pdf

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Stop%20lamp%20circuit%20Dec%209.pdf