Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.
25345654

Cad crs code 1855 - the key doesn't come out of the ignition

Customer Question

cad crs code 1855 - the key doesn't come out of the ignition - cadillac STX 2007
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 1 year ago.

Is this an STS or an SRX? And what is the letter that precedes the four numbers in your code, such as P1855, or B1855?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
STS and P1855

That's not a valid code, can you recheck this? How did you retrieve this code, from which module?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry - P1825
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I used a portable scanner - OBD2

OK. This code indicates that there is an issue with what's called the internal mode switch, or IMS. It is what we used to call the park/neutral switch, it tells the computer what gear the transmission is shifted into. If this switch doesn't work, the computer may not know it's in park, and therefore won't release the key.

Work the shifter through the ranges several times, all the way back as far as it will go, then all the way back to park, and see if the key releases. It may or may not, but this is worth a try.

This IMS is inside the transmission, not a very DIY friendly repair unless you're comfortable taking the pan off the transmission and poking around in there. There is also a calibration update for this, which I would perform first, but your dealer needs to do this for you. It may be fixed with some software, so always try that first, but it seems that worst case scenario here is that you need a new IMS.

My recommendation is to take it to the dealer for this programming, and perhaps further diagnosis if that doesn't fix it.