Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

2008 Cadillac DTS sometimes when I try to start my car I

Customer Question

2008 Cadillac DTS sometimes when I try to start my car I turn the key nothing happens lights The horn everything is working I replaced the starter it's like ignition this dead then when it does start I drive all day long no problem parked the car go back out later same thing happens turn the key nothing wait a while as I'm holding the key you little ticking and maybe a Little knocking noise and then it starts again I know it sounds crazy but what's the problem
Category: Cadillac
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it stopped on me a couple times in the middle of the street I had to wait a while then it finally started again kept turning ignition from off to run
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Based upon the symptoms I suspect that the ignition switch is faulty and will need to be replaced. There is a huge recall on GMs for ignition switches and the 2006-2011 DTS are in that recall, so your 2008 will be covered by it. You will need to call your local GM dealer to arrange to have it replaced under the recall. And of course as this is a recall, it is no charge to you for having it done

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your answer but please bare with me I'll be taking my car into the dealer hopefully I can get it in tomorrow I will give you a rating as so as I have it checked out Thank you again.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

No problem and have a great evening!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you too my friend
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry I haven't gotten back with you but I can't get an appointment until next week sorry for the inconvenience I'll get back to you as soon as I get to the dealer
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

Ok, no problem

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just left the they said they don't have any recalls with my vin number they diagnose a faulty stater
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

Hmmm, according to GM's official site, ALL 2006-2011 DTS are part of the recall. Here is link

http://www.gmignitionupdate.com/product/public/us/en/GMIgnitionUpdate/index.html

While it is possible it is the starter, I still suspect the ignition switch, but would need to do hands on testing to verify. If they tested for 12v at the starter when it would not crank and there was 12v present, then they are correct. I would ask them this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they said the starter has a bad spot
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

If they tested it properly, then that is quite possible. I would still revisit them on the ignition switch recall though.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thanks
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

You are welcome and have a safe Holiday Season!!!