Joe
Joe, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine inboards and electronics, automotive drivability, all around repair tech,
20508815

I have a 2001 cadilac deville, I bought the car with the

Customer Question

I have a 2001 cadilac deville, I bought the car with the dash taken off, completely I put the dash back together but I'm not getting anything from the instrument cluster but the check engine light, and I did a code reading and all the systems on the cars
say failed but the engine, anti theft, and seat belts read Ok everything else not working, I can start the car and drive it, radio works fine and ac blows cold but no display on the ac, check all the fuses under the back seat all were Ok and all the relays
where Ok too checked the fuses under the hood and all were Ok as well, check to see if all the main conector where Ok on top of the dash on passanger and driver side they where good, I'm lost, I know the car was fine before the dash was off.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

When you did the system scan can you tell me the fault codes that you retrived , if the cluster is not working the computer should be setting fault codes. Post back with them and I will try and help you determine the cause.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did not get any falt codes when I do a all system scap it's says that the car is not equipped with all the systems it's sopouss to have its not reading them at all, can't scan for the, the only systems I'm getting is the engine, anti theft, and seat belts is the only system it's picking up, tryed replacing the fuse box under the seat and still same problem.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Im afraid this type of problem is not something I am going to be able to diagnose on line for you. I can open the question back up for you and hopefully some else may have something to offer.

Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is Joe and I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.

Looking back for a moment, can you explain why they removed the dash to begin with?

From what you are explaining it usually is a simple harness that is not reconnected or was but is not fully seated, of course it can be many other things as well.

Thanks,

Joe

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well the dash was removed because some mobile mechanic told the person his ac evap was bad and that's why it was leaking air and the person removed the dash and just never finished it but I found that it was leaking from the ac condensor conection to the ac lines, and I checked the main conectors like 10 times already and still nothing
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

Was the dash disconnected with the battery connected?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have no idea maybe
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

Out of curiosity, have you tried disconnecting the battery and touching the two cables together (not the battery it cannot be connected) to drain the residual and possibly reset?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I removed the batery terminal for about a hr but did not cross them
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

If you are going to cross you would remove both cables from the battery, still, and hour should have been plenty.

Does everything else work such as wipers, door locks, power windows, radio, a/c/heater controls, etc?

Thanks,

Joe

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Door windows, ac blows cold and hot but no display, radio works fine, door locks work good, alarm works, and tried the wire crossing still no luck
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wipers, lights all work too, turn lights work too
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

So just to confirm the only problem is that the instrument cluster and a/c control cluster does not come on but everything otherwise functions correctly, correct?

Thanks,

Joe

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Everything work fine but the instrument cluster, ac display, but when I scan for all the systems it's says that it's not equipped with them systems
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

Have you checked the IPC fuse under the hood to see if it is blown and if getting power as well as the rear fuse box ign fuses?

I'm starting to lead to an bcm/dash integration module failure would could also explain the lack of communication to a scan tool, however it also depends on scan tool as some of them can only access certain systems and or needs to have specific system selected before running the tests/scans.

Thanks,

Joe

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tought the same with the bcm so I went and got a new one and still the same thing and as to the scap too I'm using a $4000 scan too off the Matco tool truck and it's up to date on its software, and I already check the fuses and they were good and we're getting power to them. I'm lost at this point
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the bcm I tried 4 with the same matching codes from the junk yard, and still no communication the only thing different with the junk yard bcms it desables the radio and says antitheft has be activated and the radio won't work, but the car starts no problems and drives fine
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

New bcm does not require any programming other than the security for the key as you found.

Have you checked the connections under the hood fuse box as sometimes there is a poor connection there?

Also did you inspect each connector for the dash to ensure no damaged and or backed out pins?

That scan tool is just fine and should not have any problems with this vehicle, I run an otc product myself and they all function around the same parameters.

Thanks,

Joe

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
checked the conection under both fuse boxes they were good I even tried to swap them out with ones out of my friends car that runs and works fine, it had the same code and still the problem, check all the conectors for damage and they were ok
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

A fuse box can be ok and yet suffer a poor connection such as a loose wire, loose connection, such as corrosion, being loose, broken wire (unseen), pin open too far creating a loose connection.

This is a very odd one for sure, seeing that everything works fine this seems to suggest either both clusters need replaced (not likely), bcm, or electrical issue such as actual wiring, connection, harness etc. I do not foresee it being anything else since again the vehicle runs correctly and all systems are functioning (including ac cluster just no display) This means you will need to back probe the cluster harness connector and check the power and grounds. Do you already have the pin out schematic for them?

Thanks,

Joe

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have any of the wiring scamatic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I want to check and see if the instrument cluster will turn on at all what are the wires I need to conection directly to the battery to turn on the instrument cluster I belive it's the conector on the right side of the cluster