Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

I have a 1991 Cadillac Fleetwood 4.9L. Just bought it a

Customer Question

Customer: Hi. I'm Ken. I have a 1991 Cadillac Fleetwood 4.9L. Just bought it a month ago. It has a pretty specific problem and hopefully can be diagnosed easily. When the fuel tank gets below about 1/4 tank, and I am taking an extended right turn going a little bit uphill (for example, on a cloverleaf freeway exit), about half way through the turn I loose all power (maybe sputters a but, but essentially all power lost). Once I straighten out of the turn, full power resumes. This loss of power doesn't happen at any other time, but does consistently happen during that scenario I described. Thanks for your help!
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: That's about it for details. It's a pretty specific problem. What additional details are you looking for?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Cadillac Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure no problem. Not a huge rush.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** is caused by either a broken baffle in the tank, when this happens, and you are going around a corner or turning hard, the gas sloshes to one side and cant be picked by the fuel pump, and this usually only occurs with the tank lower than 1/4, we have seen this alot with these vehicls, the other possibilty is a crack in the draw tube on the fuel pump hanger, when this happens, the pump will draw air when going around a corner, this is less common, but does happen, the most likely cause is the baffle, but either way, the tank will need to be removed to verify either,Tim

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Tim, Thanks for your reply. I told my mechanic what you said, and we are waiting for a replacement gas tank to arrive before he pulls mine off. With Thanksgiving holiday, that probably won't be until next week sometime.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

NO WORRIES, LET ME KNOW,TIM