Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), Cadillac Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

Travis, Do you have a better picture to represent the ground

Customer Question

Travis,
Do you have a better picture to represent the ground wire for the EBCM? I changed my alternator out and now I'm getting NO ABS FOUND and all the lights are displayed.
Category: Cadillac
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Changed alternator with a new one. Before replacement, I did not have any ABS/EBCM issues. However, immediately after installing the new alternator the ABS, TRACTION CONTROL, and BRAKE light will not turn off and the computer is reading NO ABS FOUND. When I removed the alternator there was only one ground attached. Where is the ground located for the EBCM? I checked the three fuses associated with the EBCM and they are good.
Expert:  Gm Tech (Cam) replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I am Cam. Attached is the digram. This is the front drivers side of the transmission. You will see the thermostat outlet there and on the top right the filler for the transmission. Your ground wires are below there, 3 of them.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks for pic. I did not removed any of those as they are not required to be removed for the removal and reinstall of the alternator. Do you have an idea as to why the EBCM is behaving in this fashion after I remove and reinstall the alternator? My thoughts are arcing took place and damaged a circuit board however, I do believe the fuses should have prevented such.

The fuses only stop over amperage of the circuit, but surges can kill it. I would verify none of the connections are bad at the abs module, and if you find no issues there, verify power and ground to the module, as well as the data line. If those are good, then it confirms the module is indeed faulty.

Power and ground you check with the test light, the data line, check that to the data plug purple wire with the key off.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When we try to jump the car using the connections under the hood this never works, but we can get instant results jumping it from the back seat. Could this be related?

Yes, I suspect you have a ground connection between the body and the engine is bad. I would check that main cable and see.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is that the cable from the Alternator? will you send me a pic of the wiring? Also, how can I check that? Multimeter?

That where the issue comes, that one I cannot find a good picture. The cable I am thinking about is attached on the passenger side of the underhood area to the body by it. Myself I would check that and even get a jumper cable, attache it to the body and then engine ground and evaluate the issue after that.