Jeromy Madison
Jeromy Madison,
Experience:  Owner/Technician at Mad Auto Repair
90693043

How do I remove the ip trim pad. I think I need to remove

Customer Question

How do I remove the ip trim pad. I think I need to remove vents. Need to know how to without braking. Also the wood trim on the dash front. I want to remove that also. 2004 Deville.
Category: Cadillac
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I remove the center arm rest?
Expert:  Jeromy Madison replied 1 year ago.

Which trim pad are you trying to remove?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the dash Also the wood trim on the front of the dash

The most difficult part in removing the top of the dash is the first step........removing all 4 dash vents. These must be removed to access four screws (one behind each vent) that secures the rear of the dash. There are three more larger screws that secure the front of the dash by the windshield. These three are accessible once you pop the plastic defroster cover off. Getting back to removing the vents, there are two small tabs in each vent, one on top, and one on the bottom. All four vents are different, which makes it even more interesting. These tabs must be pried up with a small blade to release the vent body from its housing. The fun part is visualizing the tabs (since they are difficult to see with the vent louvers in the way), and prying down on the top one and up on the bottom at the same time while pulling the vent body out with a third set of hands. A very knowledgeable person on another Cadillac message board suggested using a butter knife, and sliding it between the vent housing and the fake wood trim, and depressing the tabs from the top and bottom. This worked well for me, but still requires a level of dexterity, combined with a little bit of luck, since you can't see what the end of the butter knife is contacting. You are basically doing it by "feel", moving it around until the end of the knife hits the "tab". You then still have to maneuver the knife so that the end of it gets over the tab, so you can then press the tab "down" from the top of the vent, or "up" from the bottom. You need to work both sets of knives so that the top and bottom tab are depressed at the same time, and then pull the vent straight out. Since the vent assembly sits in a secondary "sleeve", make sure you don't feed the butter knife under or over that sleeve, it must be inserted between the two walls. Once the vents are out, you will have access to the screw in each vent, but they sit pretty far back, so be careful that they do not fall into the ductwork.