Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner
Experience:  General Repair Shop Owner
66997337

I have a 2001 Cadillac Deville DTS with 147,000 miles on it.

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 2001 Cadillac Deville DTS with 147,000 miles on it. I just got it from my uncle and I noticed the Check Engine Soon, ABS, Brake, and Traction Control lights all stay on on the dash. He told me he spilled coffee on the TRAC button by the shifter and after that, the lights came on.
I bought a new TRAC button and replaced the old one thinking the coffee shorted it out. Didn't fix it. I then unplugged the battery and plugged it in again. Didn't fix it. I checked both fuse boxes. Didn't fix it.
Then I just took it to Auto Zone where I got a scanner and received 4 error codes (P1860 showed up twice):
P0507: Idle Control System. RPM high.
P1860: manufacturer Control Transmission
P0741: Torque converter CKT performance or stuck off
Any ideas what I should do?
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Wayne Crawford replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

The 507 is usually a bad IAC motor and the other codes are usually a bad torque converter clutch solenoid in the transmission. None of these are responsible for the ABS or brake light. You would need to get the vehicle specific codes from the ABS to see whats going on with those. A generic scan tool wont pull those codes.

Either way these particular codes have nothing to do with the coffee. Out of curiousity did you clear the codes after replacing the switch? If not try that and see if the ABS and brake lights go away.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Wayne, thanks for the input. I didn't clear the codes, is this what you would recommend? It sounds like I may have a bad torque converter, are these expensive to replace? And finally, what steps would you recommend to try to solve the brake lights issues?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I guess overall, is it damaging to the vehicle to keep driving as is (with a bad torque converter) and I might get lucky with clearing the ABS brake lights?

If the switch you replaced was responsible for the brake lights clearing the codes should solve those. Try unhooking the battery cables for ten or fifteen minutes (step on the brake pedal a few times with the battery unhooked to help drain any residual power in the modules) and yes you could have a bad converter. Do you have a meter to do some testing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do. Will you be available this evening? I just got to work. I apologize. If not, maybe you could give me a step by step guide to follow?

I should be around if you need me. Just reply. The question will stay open for follow ups even after you rate my service.

1. Disconnect the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) clear connector and turn the key on.

2. Connect an ammeter from pin 46, a Tan/Black wire, to ground.

3. The Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) Pulse Width Modulated (PWM) solenoid should click and amp draw should be close to 1 amp.

4. Disconnect the transmission connector, C100, the 20 pin connector near the thermostat housing.

5. Ohm test the TCC PWM solenoid on the transmission side of the connector, pins U and T, it should have 10-15 ohms.

6. If the tests fail, remove the side cover from the transmission and check the wiring to the solenoid. If OK, replace the TCC PWM solenoid.

Let me know if you need anything further and please be sure to rate my service so I get credit for it. Thanks