rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

How do you know if your timing chain broke or an engine is

Customer Question

how do you know if your timing chain broke or an engine is seized for another reason
I was driving then the car stopped accelearating but the engine was still runing with low accelearation if you stepped on the pedal the car wouldn't pick up but it was still driving
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.

I have been in this business since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Please be patient!

I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a "positive rating" in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why "in advance", so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

A jumped chain will cause this problem as you have described. The engine can't be seized up if it runs, so do a compression check to confirm a jumped chain. Also, check your fuel pressure and volume. Low pressure can also cause this as well as a plugged fuel filter.

Thanks, Ron