Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

In considering buying a 2002 Eldorado etc with 85000 miles

Customer Question

In considering buying a 2002 Eldorado etc with 85000 miles on it. What are the mechanical issues might I expect to occur in the next few years?
Just how risky is it in terms of repair costs?
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

These cars are most widely known for head gasket failure. The aluminum block does not have the strength to hold the head bolts, so the threads pull out and there is insufficient clamping force to seal the head gaskets. The engine has to be removed and disassembled to have steel threaded inserts installed in the block and new head gaskets installed. Also prone to oil leakage from the bottom end of engine. Head gasket repair is a $2000 repair job. Unless there is documented proof that this repair has been done, I would advise against purchasing this car.