Amedee
Amedee, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  ASE certified Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

My eldorado wont start, it is showing a "starting disabled

Customer Question

my eldorado wont start, it is showing a "starting disabled remove key" message
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question. This is caused by broken wiring in the steering column coming from the lock cylinder. There are two wires from the lock cylinder that go down the column and then back up to the instrument cluster. CHances are one of these two wires have broke causing this condition. The fix is to replace the lock cylinder. It will come with the wires already attached. Here is a wiring diagram of this circuit.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Here is the test if you would like to test the wiring from the lock cylinder before replacing it.

Check the resistance of the key pellet and record it. Then disconnect C202 near the base of the steering column and check the resistance between the column side at terminals E12 and E13. The resistance should match the key pellet. Cycle the ignition lock cylinder back and forth while watching the resistance. If the reading is unstable, the ignition lock cylinder is defective.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

I am glad I can help! Please don't forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "Excellent Service" so I get credit for the time and knowledge that I have shared with you in a timely manner. Of course please let me know if you have any further questions as I will be happy to help!

Best Regards

Amedee