Pete, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  17 years Cadillac experience as a technician.
14928985

I have a Cadillac Deville 2004. I bought it resell. It

Customer Question

I have a Cadillac Deville 2004. I bought it resell. It needed window regulators, heater core and some upholstery. Once I was nearly finished with the ignition key would turn hard. I shot some lithium oil in with aerosol can, that didn't help. I popped the covers off the steering column and saw that the pin that locks the steering when the key is removed was malfunctioning so I just removed it.
I took it for a little drive and realized the fuel level sending unit was not working. So I pulled the fuel pump out through the trunk. Removed the sending unit to repair it and stuck the pump back in.
I then went to start the car and after about 5 seconds it shut off saying "Starting Disabled".
I went to the Diagnostics on the dash and checked for all the Current codes. One said low fuel tank pressure so I realized I didn't have the lock ring on properly. I also put an appropriate temporary resistor in the sending unit to provide a reading to the instrument panel while I waited for a ne
Category: Cadillac
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure if my full post came through on the chat window.I have a Cadillac Deville 2004. I bought it resell. It needed window regulators, heater core and some upholstery. Once I was nearly finished with the ignition key would turn hard. I shot some lithium oil in with aerosol can, that didn't help. I popped the covers off the steering column and saw that the pin that locks the steering when the key is removed was malfunctioning so I just removed it.
I took it for a little drive and realized the fuel level sending unit was not working. So I pulled the fuel pump out through the trunk. Removed the sending unit to repair it and stuck the pump back in.I then went to start the car and after about 5 seconds it shut off saying "Starting Disabled".I went to the Diagnostics on the dash and checked for all the Current codes. One said low fuel tank pressure so I realized I didn't have the lock ring on properly. I also put an appropriate temporary resistor in the sending unit to provide a reading to the instrument panel while I waited for a new unit.Cleared that code. The fuel gas showed a level indicating my resistor worked. But still had the same issue with shutting off a few seconds after starting.Another code showed up under VTD B3055. Cleared That and the starting is still cutting off and the code comes back up.After writing down all codes, current and history I cleared them all.Restarted it and it shut down shortly.Checked codes again and have the followingDDM B3832
IPM B0164
PDM B3832
RIM C0660
Vtd B3055 Key not presentSo though it quit working right after I had pulled the fuel pump it rather seems to perhaps be something with the key transponder or exciter.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The black master key does not work in the ignition for some reason. It is started using the valet key but the master key is on the key ring.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The valet key is a short temporary start key and will only allow the engine to start something like 2 or 3 times until a master/programmed key is used again to reset the timer on how many times the valet key can be used.If you were only using the valet key this is why it will not start again as a master key needs installed to start the vehicle.It will need programmed as well to the vehicle to allow it to start the vehicle.If you have the master key or can get one for your vehicle from a dealer or similar I can tell you how to program it to allow the engine to start again.If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.Just let me know if you want this procedure.

If this is not what is occuring here and both keys will not start the vehicle let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is a master key on the ring but I dont think it fits anything on the vehicle. Is it a total misfit. Is there any chance the transponder matches the exciter or whatever it is called.If the transponder is matching is it not good enough for it be on the key ring to be with in proximity of the sensor?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Does the key fit the ignition cylinder and turn in the ignition cylinder?

Are you only using a valet key to start the vehicle when it was starting and running?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I must correct myself, I just tried it on the locks. The master key does fit and operate everything except the ignition where it gets stuck about half way in. The only difference I can make out with the naked eye and running my finger along the cuts of the key is that the master seams a bit worn and it has a groove running down the center of both sides of the shaft whereas the valet only has the groove on one side.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

O.k.,have a master key cut by a GM dealer copying the cut of the valet key.Then you can take the master key and program it as following here to correct this fault.
30-Minute Relearn Procedure
Use this procedure after replacing the following components:
- The passkey III (PK3) keys
- The theft deterrent control module
- The PCM, see important above

1. With a master passkey III key (Black), turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.

IMPORTANT: This procedure is not available on vehicles equipped with option code (Z49 or BAE).
If replacing a theft deterrent control module with an GM SPO Replacement Part, perform the procedure to setup a new theft deterrent control module prior to the 30-minute relearn procedure.

2. Observe the Security telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn off.
3. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
4. Repeat steps 1-3 two more times for a total of 3 cycles or 30 minutes.
5. With a master passkey III key, start the vehicle.