rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

I have a 1999 catera. The car had been running fine. Went

Customer Question

I have a 1999 catera. The car had been running fine. Went out the other day, it was completely dead. No crank, no lights, no buzzers, no electrical of any kind at all. Battery is only about a year old. Got out the battery charger (it's got a 30 amp and
100 amp setting in addition to normal), attached it, no soap, not even a peep. not even at 100 amps, not even with the charger connected to both battery terminals rather than positive and a ground. Thoughts?
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in this business since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Please be patient!
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

It sounds like the battery is no good, but you can check the cables and connections to the main fuse box under the hood near the battery to ensure they are good first.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hmmm...I had a 100 amp charger hooked up directly to the cable terminals. Not a hint of current getting into the system. I would have at least expected that to make the for buzzer sound.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

Not if the cables or wiring to fuse box is bad. A circuit needs to be completed.

Thanks again, Ron