Pete, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  17 years Cadillac experience as a technician.
14928985

While driving, electrical system begins to shut off and on,

Customer Question

While driving, electrical system begins to shut off and on, causing transmission to fail, dash board fluctuation, radio and gps reset, dashboard lights all light up, then all goes back to normal. Once car completely died and nothing would turn on, then in about 10 min it started back up.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.I apologize for any delay.

If you are losing all electrical when this occurs to where no electronics work in or outside the vehicle at all and with the lights on the gauge cluster resetting and radio resetting this sounds like an issue with a loose or corroded battery cable either at the battery or to where the cables lead and connect to from the battery.I would start with checking the cables at and from the battery and to where the cables run and connect to including at the alternator and under hood fuse panel.If a connection is found loose or corroded it will need repaired to correct this here.

One other common component to fail or act up is the electronic ignition switch itself.Usually though if the switch is the cause you would still have some electronics that would work so if you do not have any electrical at all when this occurs I suspect a poor power connection.

It is also possible the battery is shorting out internally intermittently causing this.If all cables check out o.k. I would have the battery tested to see if it needs replaced.

Let me know if you need anything else here and feel free to rate my help.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I took it to the shop they checked the cables, battery and ignitIon switch - everything is working good. What else could be causing a problem?
Thank you
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Was the vehicle acting up when these were checked?If not the electronic ignition switch will test o.k. when it is tested when it isnt acting up and needs tested when the vehicle is acting up to see if it is faulty or damaged internally needing replaced.I have seen several electronic ignition switch failures in the past before cause this issue here needing replaced.

I would have this checked when acting up to be sure.If you have not had the fault codes checked/read out this needs done as well as this can help pinpoint a fault if any codes are set with this issue here.

One other component that may be the cause as well is possibly a fault with the body control module/computer needing replaced.But once again this would need checked when the vehicle is acting up to be sure.I have had to ask some of my customers if I can hold onto their vehicle for a day or more so I could operate it off and on to duplicate the fault so I could properly diagnose and repair it.

Thanks Pete