Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

If a engine jumped time can you get it working again without

Customer Question

If a engine jumped time can you get it working again without replacing the timing chain?
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 1 year ago.

You would have to at least remove the chain and re install it in the correct position and resolve the reason it jumped time in the first place. Do you know why it jumped time? Was it a failed tensioner? worn chain guide?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The diagnosis was "jumped time". Needs timing chain, gears, tensioners, guides, sprockets, seals and gaskets. The 2nd place said it needed a new ECM which they replaced. A month latter, the catalytic converter needed to be replaced and now the engine locked. I think not replacing the timing chain, as per the original diagnosis, caused the other problems. Is this possible?

after they replaced the ecm, did it run normal? If you originally had jumped timing, or a severely damaged guide throwing your timing off, then replacing the ECM wouldn't have improved your symptoms.

Was it making a lot of teribble clatter and engine noise?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did not make any noise before or after the diagnosis. It just did not start one day. 2 places said the engine jumped time. The guides and tensioners were not severely damaged; they just urged us to replace everything. The dealer said it was ECM. However, the check engine light went on within a day or 2 of the ECM replacement (which I am not convinced we actually needed since 2 places told us the engine jumped time.) We then took it for emissions inspection which indicted we needed a new catalytic converter (we replaced it). A week later the engine locked. My theory is not replacing the timing chain when it needed to be repair caused the other problems. The dealer was trying to prove that they knew more than non-dealer mechanics (long story of trust issues with dealer). The replaced things (ignition coils, bushing, spark plugs multiple times over a 2 year period) and never really found the source of what was causing all the fail.

Ok. So to make sure I am understand correctly: One day it would not start, and you had it towed to the dealer who replaced the computer, and the car ran after that repair?

Did it seem to be running fine after they replaced the computer?

How did the first 2 repair shops determine that the valve timing was off? Did they do compression tests? Or was it just based off symptoms?

I am just trying to determine whether or not you likely had a failed timing chain.