Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  34 year as an ASE Tech
7276279

Re: 08' Cadi DTS I have a grinding noise when making low

Customer Question

Re: 08' Cadi DTS
I have a grinding noise when making low speed left turns. It sounds like its coming from the right front. Ive replaced both front hub bearings and the FR CV Axle. I've inspected both front brake pads which have ample life remaining, the rotors show no signs of scraping from the dust shields. Can this be a rear HUB bearing that is projecting sound through the frame? Ive test drove the car up a parking garage ramp so I can hear the noise better with the windows down and Im still convinced its from the FR...any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Best,
Jason
Category: Cadillac
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Forgot to mention that in addition to this left turn grinding, I have what I would call a bad wheel bearing hum that becomes audible beyond 35-40mph. Both the grinding and hum persists with the car in a netural roll or in drive, neither intensify under braking.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The grinding and hum you are describing dose sound like a bearing concern going by your description. The best way to isolate this type of noise is to get the car up on a rack and spin all fur tire while using a stethoscope at each while while the noise is occurring and see if you can pinpoint which wheel its coming from. You can also spin each wheel listening for any sounds of roughness as excessive play.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ron,I'd exhausted all those methods already. It was a bead/belt in the Right front tire scrapping the inside of the rim during left turns. I found it by pushing the car while off and in neutral in a cul de sac. The sound outside the car was minimal since it was happening inside the tire. However the sound resonated and projected 5-6 times inside the cabin. This one almost drove me nuts. Tire pressure was percise, tread wear was near 7/10ths, BF goodrich tire....very strange.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Glad to hear you got it resolved, have to say this was a strange one for sure. Thank you as well.