Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner
Experience:  General Repair Shop Owner
66997337

I own a 2014 AWD CTS with 30000 miles. I have maintained the

Customer Question

I own a 2014 AWD CTS with 30000 miles. I have maintained the car with regular checkups at a Cadillac dealership. I noticed a thumping noise two oil and maintaince stops ago and asked about it with no help after they realigned and balanced the tires. Now it's gotten much worse with cupped tires as the stated reason. They are changing the rear wheel bearings and replacing the tires. I asked for a 50% reduction on the tires. They said GM only would do it if I had 12,000or less miles. Do I have any recourse? And is this the solution or is something else going on and I will face cupping again
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Wayne Crawford replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

If the bearings are bad that could possibly cause the cupped tires but usually its either just due to a cheap tire to begin with or worn out suspension. If these are the original tires they may just be worn out.

Do the tires look cupped? You dont have to take their word for it.. walk out and look at them. You got the tools to double check them on this one (at least I assume you have eyesight if you are driving) ;)

30k is not bad out of a set of tires on an AWD vehicle so it may just be their time but I would double check it to see if they really are cupped. Sounds like they think the bearings are making noise and they are just selling you tires on top of it for some reason.

You have zero legal recourse with GM over this. Its all normal wear items. You wont get anywhere with goodwill either at 30k. Your only hope is the dealer you bought it from helping you if you are a good enough customer and they want to keep it that way.

Let me know if you need anything further and please be sure to rate my service so I get credit for it. Thanks