camerontech
camerontech, diagnostic auto tech
Experience:  diagnostic auto tech
89602740

I have a 2007 escalade. My rear lift gate will not latch

Customer Question

I have a 2007 escalade. My rear lift gate will not latch when closed unless I take my fuse out. I can not open it with the switch on tge rear, nor can I close it with the manual switch on the lift gate. I have to use my key fob to open it..... which works fine. Then manually shut it but my read out says lift gate open. And I can hear it keep trying to latch but it never does. I take tge fuse out, and it wil latch and all is well
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  camerontech replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

My name is ***** ***** I am a licenced diagnostic technician with over 20 years experience.

I will do my best to help you with your automotive problem. Please remember, I cannot see, hear or feel your vehicle which can make diagnosing very complicated and some vehicle require extensive diagnotics that require certain diagnostics computers that can not be done over a computer or phone.Please be patient as I am not online 24 hours a day, as I do work, but I do check my page every day.A positive rating is always appreciated for my time and knowledge to help you with your problem.

THe only way to check these lift gates are with a scanner on the body control module data screen.

I have had so many problems with these, they have multiple internal switches and if one doesnt work or gets stuck. the system does not operate properly.

I have stopped testing these units and just ended up replacing them whenever there was a problem with one.

I bet i have replaced a dozen this year.

I would recommend checking the jam wiring and making sure there are no breaks in the harness.

Like i said the only way to check these are with a compatable scanner, and I have stopped testing them because its always the latch.

I would just replace the latch assembly, because i think one of your switches inside are faulty.

Now, If you replace the latch yourself, you will have to recalibrate it with a scan tool also. So itmight be a good idea to have a repair shop check, replace and reset the latch.

I hope I have steered you in the right direction.

I appreciate any positive reviews and I am always available for follow ups after ratings!

cam