Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

Both fobs inoperable XLR ,How can I reprogram them?

Customer Question

Both fobs inoperable for 2002 XLR ,How can I reprogram them?
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** wasn't made until 2004? Did they both work before replacing batteries? Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry about that. My XLR is 2004. One fob was lost for 2 year. After I found it, Neither fob was working. I now start the car by
placing 1 fob inside the glove box. I seldom use this car. I get home after 6 PM CST. (###) ###-####
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

You can disconnect battery and touch cables together for 10 seconds with battery disconnected. If that doesn't help you can try to do the manual reprogram, if that doesn't help dealer will need to reprogram with scan tool. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

-

Method 1 is also used for the initial programming of key fobs to a new replacement RCDLR. In this instance, the new RCDLR comes ready to learn the first key fobs introduced. Perform the learn procedure as outlined, with the exception that the new RCDLR does not require two known key fobs be placed within the interior of the vehicle.

Important: This procedure is not available when the maximum number of fobs (4) have been programmed. If 4 key fobs are programmed to this RCDLR and this method is attempted, the driver information center (DIC) will display MAX FOBS LEARNED and the programming procedure will exit. Method 2 must be used in this instance.

Important: Failure to operate the active portion of each key fob will result in that fob being inoperative. Pressing the active portion finishes the programming sequence and is require to ensure transmitter operation.

1. The vehicle must be OFF.
  2. Open the rear compartment.
  3. Place 2 known key fobs within the interior of the vehicle.
  4. At the rear of the vehicle insert the vehicle key in the rear compartment lock cylinder located in the lower left and cycle the key 5 times within 5 seconds.
  5. The DIC will display a message: READY FOR FOB X (X = fob 2, 3, or 4).
  6. Place the new unknown key fob in the glove box fob pocket with the buttons facing right.
  7. A beep will occur and the DIC will display: READY FOR FOB X or MAX FOBS LEARNED.
  8. If programming additional key fobs, repeat steps 5–6, or press the OFF/ACC portion of the ignition switch to exit programming mode.
  9. Operate the active portion of each key fob to finalize the programming and verify correct system operation.