Scott
Scott, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  GM Master technician 15yrs on Cadillac, 25 total, ASE Master Tech automotive
24665677

My '08 CTS quit running Fri. Upon taking it to the dealer of

Customer Question

My '08 CTS quit running Fri. Upon taking it to the dealer for diagnosis of the problem, they informed me that the sunroof drains were clogged and the sunroof is leaking. They furnished me with 4 separate cost estimates ($499.05, $499.05, $671.84 & $8,921.68) to repair. As this is something that came about do to inferior materials or faulty construction. How can I be held liable?
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Scott replied 1 year ago.

My answer may not be exactly what you want to hear, but I will try to explain it. Assuming the sunroof drains were clogged and not pinched off, this would allow water to get into electronic modules and wiring that it was not originally intended to causing those parts to fail. The drains being clogged with debris would be a maintenance repair and not a defect. If the drain was pinched off from the factory and causing the clog this would be a warranty repair, but would have only been covered by the 4yr/50K mi bumper to bumper warranty on the car. Since the car is a 2008 model year the warranty ran out at 4 years from the start date which would be when the car was purchased new or when it reached 50,000 mi which ever came first. GM is only required to cover warranty repairs while the vehicle is still under warranty. After the warranty expires all repairs are the customers responsibility.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The answer you provided me with wasn't what I was hoping for, but I appreciated your response. As far as I'm concerned you did what I had asked. So I would say you did a good job. If ever I need something explained I will refer to you. Thanks
Expert:  Scott replied 1 year ago.

Your Welcome.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I read your answer and my question is "How are you supposed to know that your sunroof is clogged up and leaking into the car? I suppose you find that out after the damage has been done. That just doesn't sound fair to me,"
Expert:  Scott replied 1 year ago.

The only way to test to see if the drains are clogged is to periodically open the sunroof and slowly pour a small amount of water into the sunroof track housing area at each corner of the sunroof opening between the track and the edge of the roof. If the drain is clear and free of debris the water will exit the drain and you will see the water pooling on the ground near each of the wheels. If the water remains in the sunroof track housing and is not seen coming out the underside of the car, then one or more of the drains are clogged.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** answer. At least you've given me method for checking the sunroof for blockage. More then I can say for Cadillac.
Expert:  Scott replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome. Let me know if I can be of any other assistance.