Pete, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  17 years Cadillac experience as a technician.
14928985

I have a 1997 STS with a constant 3 amp drain. Checking

Customer Question

I have a 1997 STS with a constant 3 amp drain. Checking circuits finds that top and third down of the large fuses under the standard fuses by the left front wheel have 1 amp and 2 amp drains respectively. Manual does not show what these circuits are, what is on them, etc. Need to fix so the car is drive-able without eating batteries.
Category: Cadillac
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A few months ago, I removed all the fuses and relays to clean the contacts on them and in the fuse box and the problem went away for a while. I pressure washed behind the fuse panels and the drain went from 3.7 amps to 3.0 amps.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help with this today.I need a little more info to assist better.

In the diagram below is it the 1st and 3rd fuses down in the LH maxi fuse block or RH maxi fuse block or is it different all together?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8nww2p36h5bvu0e/maxi-10-26.gif?dl=0

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The LH Maxifuse block. I took a photo with my cell of the block with the concerned fuses removed and attached it with arrows to the fuses which have been removed.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

O.k. the LH top fuse is a 60 amp Body 1 fuse and the 3rd down is the 50 amp Body 3 fuse.They mainly feed the smaller fuses in the vehicle.You would need to remove the smaller fuses one at a time on each circuit to locate which one is the source of the draw and let me know when you do this and I can tell you what is on that or those smaller fuse circuits.

Body 1 feeds:

Antennae 20 amp fuse

Rss 10 amp fuse

Convenc 20 amp fuse

Batt 10 amp fuse

Rss 20 amp fuse

All of these above located in the trunk fuse panel

Body 3 feeds:

Amp fuse 30 amp

Comfort 10 amp

All of these are in the trunk

If when you check these or remove and check these and the drain does not go away (make sure you give at least 10 minutes between removing each fuse for full power down before reading the meter drain) let me know as we may have some relay issues here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.