Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

My window on the driver's side of my 1991 Cadillac Allante

Customer Question

My window on the driver's side of my 1991 Cadillac Allante would not go up or down. While removing the switch I saw and heard a spark. With the switch removed the car wouldn't start, no power whatsoever. I put the switch that showed it had been worked on by a previous owner since the tabs were broken and the switch had been glued together. Still no power. The manual shows circuit breaker 21 as the breaker for the driver's side window switch and 22 for the door locks. If one of those breakers was blown would it prevent the car from starting?
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Don 'Mo Lurch' replied 1 year ago.

.

sorry for the delay............
.
Greetings...... “Hi, I’m Don (aka MOLurch) and I look forward to helping you!”
.
You need a Test Light or Volt Meter:
Test Voltage on "both sides" of Circuit Breaker 21
Is there Voltage + on "both sides"
Let me know what you find

.
IF you need more information, please ask "prior" to Rating.
.
Please do the right thing and leave a rating, using the rating system, so I may be credited for this Q&A.
.
NOTE: Do NOT Rate on how much TIME you waited, because I am not on 24 / 7 and I answer as soon as I see the question.
The question will still remain open for follow up questions if needed.
.
If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
.
Rating is very Important to our Service
.
.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Test the breaker itself or the two posts the breaker plugs int?

Reset the Breaker by removing for apprx 2 minutes, reinsert Breaker, then Test with the Breaker Plugged in

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can a blown breaker for the Power window switch stop the car from starting? When I turn the key nothing at all comes on no interior lights nothing on the dash nothing at all. So if that breaker can't cause the car not to stop and that's not the problem I do not have a voltmeter at present

depends on what has blown & what has bypassed the Circuit Breaker
IF you are not able to do a few testing steps now, let me know when you can, as this will need testing from the Breaker then downstream

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I removed the breaker and waited four minutes. Then I put the breaker back in and it made no difference. Let me ask you this question. Is there anything inside that door panel from the lock switches for the power windows that would keep power from going to the car at all?

just the Factory Alarm wire.
Removal & insertion of the Circuit Breaker proves nothing, as the Circuit Breaker could still be shorted or the RAP Module is not powered

Testing needs to be done from the Circuit Breaker then downstream

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After partially removing the door panel plus the armrest and taking out the power window switch it's obvious that there's been a lot going on from a previous owner inside that door. There are wires with electrical tape and the whole power switch has been broken and then glued back together. I will try to get a voltage tester tomorrow and test it.

thanks.........let me know if you need further