Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

My cadillac will not start
, It is a push button start,

Customer Question

Customer: My cadillac will not start
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: It is a push button start, since it has started to get cold at night, my cadillac will not start. Had the battery tested and they said it was fine. It is a push button start. Everything comes on. It will just not turnover. Once it has ran for a few hours it will start the rest of the day no problems.
JA: OK got it. Last thing – JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $24) to post your type of question to Car Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question

First, it will help to know the year and model of your Cadillac.

Second, you say it doesnt start, but then say once it has ran for a few hours it will start the rest of the day with no problems. So, how are you able to finally get it started first time -jumping the battery, repeatedly hitting the start button, wiggling shifter back and forth, some other way.

Please remember that I am not there and therefore rely on you for as much information as possible. thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, sometimes it says to shift to park. It is a 2005 STS. Usually I just keep hitting the ignition and then accessory button repeatedly until it starts. Yesterday I put a battery charger on it and after about 20 minutes it started. It is almost like what ever is supposed to crank the engine does not have enough power. The weird thing is when it is warm it starts right up. I went through two days of having to do this, and then one morning it was almost already 70 degrees and it didn't really get that cold that night... I went out and it started right up.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Ok, do you have a voltmeter for testing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, but like I said I had it tested and they said the battery was fine.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

When did they test the battery - as soon as you drove up and the engine was already warmed up, or after it sat overnight and cold overnight?

I ask because you cant test for a cold start issue when the engine and components are warmed up, kinda defeats the purpose of testing for cold start issue

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I drove up and the car had been off for about 3 minutes. The battery looks old, should I just replace it?
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

I suspect that the battery is weakened enough to cause the cold starting issues, which is the only part of the electrical starting system that is affected by weather. Testing it after it was just driven will show it good because it was charged by the alternator and the voltage raised.

The battery being the culprit would need to be confirmed by letting it sit overnight when cold and then test the voltage and amperage first thing in the morning before cranking. I suspect that it will be found that the voltage and amperaged have dropped due to the cold weather and sitting overnight. You would need to leave it in a shop overnight for this.

If you just want to replaced the battery based upon my prior experience and your symptoms, I would advise to go ahead and do that

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page. Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks