Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified
20625509

How are you? Well I have replaced my 05 Cadillac CTS pump

Customer Question

How are you ? Well I have replaced my 05 Cadillac CTS pump due to failure to spark whenever I tried to turn on engine . This happens whenever I get to a gas station and buy a gas . At that particular moment it takes a long time before car can spark even that with the help of an acceleration
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

How do you know the engine isn't getting spark?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I mean the engine doesn't turn on . It cranks a longer time sometimes with the help of acceleration before the engine turns on
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Did you replace the fuel pump yourself?

When you first turn the key to run, before you turn the key to start, can you hear the fuel pump run for a few seconds?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

That is of course when the engine won't start I meant to ask.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the fuel pump runs for a few seconds and yes fuel pump works perfect ! The engine won't start unless the help with acceleration !
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

I assume you mean holding your foot to the floor. If so, that usually is a clear flood mode and if so, then your engine must be flooding, so I would check that your fuel pressure isn't too high. I'll look up what it is supposed to be.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Of course if the check engine light remains on past bulb check those codes should be retrieved.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I assume you tell me to check the fuel filter . Are you guys here for to just make money from people ?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

The fuel filter would have symptoms while the engine is running. Is the check engine light on? You may have a faulty coolant temperature sensor and the computer thinks the engine is warm when it's not and leans out the fuel mixture too much or it thinks the engine is actually cooler than it is and richens the fuel mixture too much and I believe this one may actually be the case, cause you did say that this happens when getting gasoline, so I assume the engine is still warm when you get back in the vehicle to start the engine.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

The fuel pump pressure should be 55-60 psi. I promised I would look that up.

Is the check engine light remaining on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
check engine light is on because of oxygen sensor . I already had a test machine to check codes for me . When the car is moving or I accelerate too much the check engine light starts to Blink . It's no problem from cylinders . I already had that checked !
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

What was that code?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't think you are serious . Bye
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

that oxygen sensor code is probably related to the fuel system being too lean or too rich and that may have given me a clue as to what is wrong with the fuel system. It is you who are not serious.