Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Cadillac Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Cadillac Diagnostics
18617752

I have a 2012 CTS 4 and it is making a creaking noise in the

Customer Question

Hi Dave, I have a 2012 CTS 4 and it is making a creaking noise in the front. Sounds like bed springs. I read up on it and told the dealership I thought it was the driver side lower control arm. They checked it out and said those appeared to be ok but they thought it was the front gas struts. They replaced those for the tune of $1289.00 and It is still creaking just not quiet as loud. What do you think? Thanks Delores
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.

When there is a creaking noise coming from the front suspension, this is can be due to worn or under-lubricated Ball Joints. On this vehicle, the ball joints are part of the Control Arm so when faulty, the control arm as an assembly will need to be replaced. Unfortunately, there is no real pinpoint way to test and positively determine this besides raising the vehicle and trying to duplicate the sound using a pry bar to simulate body movement. So if the control arms were inspected, make sure they inspected the ball join as well and not just the control arm bushings. If my answer has helped you, please help me by leaving a rating using the stars at the top of this page or accept the answer so I may be credited. If you cannot rate or do not see the rating stars, please let me know. You can ask follow-up questions after you rate.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.

..