ggrote1
ggrote1, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  26 year GM master tech
19513769

I started my 2001 Cadillac I have around 1/4 tank of gas so

Customer Question

I started my 2001 Cadillac I have around 1/4 tank of gas so when I was started it the gas guage went to full as I drove home it gradually started to go down and the mileage on the screen also what may be wrong or should I fill up the tank this is the first time it has happened thanks
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  ggrote1 replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry for the long wait

did you still need help ?

is it still reading wrong ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried it several times and still the same
Expert:  ggrote1 replied 1 year ago.

usually when these fuel gauge reading do what yours is doing the issue is the sender resistor card on the side of the fuel pump module that is defective causing wrong resistor readings being sent to the computer

a very common problem for these cars

the only fix for this is to replace the sending unit in the fuel tank to fix this issue i am sorry to say

with no check engine light on that means the computer and wiring are usually good and it is just getting a wrong reading from the sender

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not got a answer yet why am I getting a charge fee it work perfect before it put gas in it will this help
Expert:  ggrote1 replied 1 year ago.

you can try to fill it up with gas as it might read normal will the gas filled in the tank but when it gets back down to @ 1/4 tank the odds are the fuel tank sender will do this same thing the resistor card in the tank is bad in the area on it where it reads @ 1/4 tank range these wear out or become bad over time with the fuel quality's that are out there now and the alcohol content in the fuels seem to deteriorate the resister card

please ask away if you have any questions on anything i have said

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Expert:  ggrote1 replied 1 year ago.

you can always get me back for FREE through this post for any follow up anytime even after you rate us here at Justanswer ! I do not get credit for my work until you rate us here

Expert:  ggrote1 replied 1 year ago.

how are you making out ?