Tool Hut
Tool Hut, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner of a mobile diagnostics company assisting auto technicians with difficult vehicles
77480539

Also service bAttery charging system till on with this new

Customer Question

Also service bAttery charging system till on with this new battery
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.

If the battery is new and still the charging system light is on, next the Alternator will need to be tested. There is a quick easy test for this, with the use of a voltage meter. With the engine running, take a voltage reading at the battery terminals. If the voltage is not between 13.2-14.4v, or fluctuates in and out of this area, the Alternator will need to be replaced. If the Alternator passes this test, turn the engine off and wait 15min. Take another reading at the battery terminals, this time with the engine off. If the voltage is anything less than 12v, the battery may have a "bad cell" and is not accepting the alternator's charge. If you do not have access to a voltage meter, most local "big chain" parts stores, like AutoZone, will run these tests for Free right in their parking lot. Make sure to also check the battery cables to make sure they are tight, making a good connection and are free of any corrosion at this time. If my answer has helped you, please help me by leaving a rating using the stars at the top of this page or accept the answer so I may be credited for this Q&A. If you cannot rate or do not see the rating stars, please let me know!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had alternator check it was fine...Turn car off for 15min still light on..
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.

Ok. Sounds like an electrical problem, which is not my strongest area. I will opt-out and forward you to another Tech that is more versed in electrical issues. Sit tight one sec... someone will be right with you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok tks
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My Name is ***** ***** for posting your question to just answer. I am a ASE Certified Master Auto Technician with 20 years experience. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.I also try to give all of the information you may need expecting a positive rating.

Do you have access to a scanner with DATA?

Have you had it checked for codes?