Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.
25345654

I'm trying to help my father in-law locate the cooling fan

Customer Question

I'm trying to help my father in-law locate the cooling fan relays in his 95 Cadillac 4.6...we think we found them under the fuses tobthe right of the engine but don't know how to access them
Category: Cadillac
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We located the relays, how do we check them or determine if their bad
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 1 year ago.

Did you find the relays below the radiator?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No they r to the right of the engine under other fuses

OK. My recollection was that they are under the radiator, but 95 was a transitional year.... 96 and newer have them located on the core support.

So, the question is, how to test them. Start with a test light, each relay should have power present on at least one pin, and depending how they're wired, two pins. I'll have to get a schematic up and study it, the electrical arrangement is unique, they use three relays to provide two speeds on two fans. Pretty clever circuit, but I can't recall exactly how it's wired off hand. I will look that up for you, but meanwhile, you should be able to find power at the relay sockets, just start there and let me know what you find.

Brown wire should be hot in the RUN position on all three relays. Only two of the relays have a red wire; these are relays 1 and 3. This red wire should be hot at all times.

Let me also add that cooling fan relay failure is not common, and the likelihood that all three relays have failed is pretty slim, so this would just be a cursory check to make sure there's power there. I presume that there probably is NOT power there, which means you'll be tracing back to the fuses. But you are starting in a good place, if not directly at the cooling fans (if you have power and ground at the fans and they aren't running, you need new fans, and this would be much more common).