ggrote1
ggrote1, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  26 year GM master tech
19513769

My radio has been going in and out

Customer Question

My radio has been going in and out
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  ggrote1 replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry for the long wait

can you tell me the year and model this is ?

will the radio itself go blank ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a 2008 Cadillac cts the radio is on and doesn't not go out it is simply the sound. There's no sound from on star radio or turn signal. It's happened a couple of times and restarting the car worked however this is going on 3 weeks now without it having sound
Expert:  ggrote1 replied 1 year ago.

thank you

does bumps seem to cause it ti go in and out ?

is there anything that will aggravate this more ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not recall it going out after a bump any of the times. A couple of time's it sounded as the speaker's were thumping and continued to with no music and continued when I turned the sound all the way down until I powered the car off a few other times it just went silent
Expert:  ggrote1 replied 1 year ago.

ok

right off the bat we have had a lot of programming issues where the software programming being updated in the computers in the BCM and other module will usually correct this type of issue

since you can usually power cycle the car and it works again this is usually a big sign it is a programming issue or worse case a BCM connection or possible failure

if this car came in our dealer the first thing we would do is check for codes and if no codes set in those module update all the programming in the computers and then see if this still happens

if it does then this issue would usually come down to a bad BCM or Radio causing this issue

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is this something that must go to a mechanic or is it a software upgrade that can be done my oneself
Expert:  ggrote1 replied 1 year ago.

the software updating can be done by the dealer or any local shop with programming capabilities

which requires a programming scan tool and the software to down load into the scan tool