Pete, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  17 years Cadillac experience as a technician.
14928985

2009 cadillac srx. after fill with gas the car is hard to

Customer Question

2009 cadillac srx. after fill with gas the car is hard to start like its flooded only happens after fill up .
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help with this today.

This does sound like a fuel canister or purge valve issue here.The purge valve is normally commanded off and then is commanded on when needed to pull fuel vapors from the canister to the engine to burn off.If the valve sticks open or is stuck open it can sometimes allow fuel to enter the canister and then become sucked into the engine on start up or when running.I have had to replace both the purge valve and canister on some models for issues like this here as well as test the vent valve for any issues with it not operating properly.These will need tested to see if you need a new purge solenoid/valve,vent valve and or canister to correct this here.The purge valve should be located on top of the engine as seen below as #3 and the canister should be under the vehicle usually near the fuel tank and may be hiding under a shield.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

On some models the canister is mounted on top of the fuel tank with the tank needing lowered to access it but my info doesn't tell me that the tank needs lowered so it should be near the tank itself.

Thanks Pete