Derek Werner
Derek Werner, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1 Advanced Level Specialist
61695331

HAVE A 2010 CADILLAC ESCALADE ,NOTED THE RIDE WAS GETTING

Customer Question

HAVE A 2010 CADILLAC ESCALADE ,NOTED THE RIDE WAS GETTING ROUGH REPLACED ALL 4 MAGNETIC SHOCKS .STILL HAVE A ROUGH RIDE OVER SMALL BUMPS. NO ERRORS ON INSIDE NOR CODES WENT TO ORIELYS AND NO CODES AT PLUG IN ANY SUGGESTIONS WHATS THE NEXT STEP
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Derek Werner replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome!

I am sorry to say but unfortunately a generic scan tool from Orileys will not find codes for the suspension system. A high end scan tool is needed to pull codes from the suspension control module.

Generic scan tools only read codes from the engine control module.

The first step is to check for codes with a proper scan tool,

You can also disconnect the front shocks and drive the vehicle, this will eliminate any possible problems with the shocks. With the shocks disconnected and the ride is back to normal/ bouncy, take the shocks back for a refund as they are binding.

I have had new parts fail more then once.

Thanks

William

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you don't believe there is a electrical issue ,how would one check for that

I do believe there could be a electrical issue, but you need a high end scan tool to be able to pull codes and read live data from the suspension control module.

You will need to pull codes from the module, ensure the suspension active damping data is at 0% with no codes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ISNT THERE A WAY TO SEE IF THERE IS CURRENT COMING INTO THE TOP OF THE SHOCK WITH A VOLTMETER

Yes you can disconnect the plug and measure for voltage at the connector, there is no specification i can find because the suspension control module is always varying the voltage during different driving conditions. There is several you tube videos on how to measure for DC voltage.

If you don't have any messages in the DIC drivers information center related to the suspension system or active ride control there is no codes active in the system.

You can disconnect the electrical connectors for all 4 shocks and drive the vehicle, but this is not likely the problem and will set a fault code and turn on the light.

I highly suspect you still have a problem with the new shocks. Disconnecting them and driving the vehicle is the only way to confirm this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have disconected the electric on front shocks and they do seem to ride alittle better . Does that indicate that the shocks in front were binding creating a firmer shock.if so I will wait for your reply and if u agee ill send them back for replacements

I would send the shocks back. If it only is getting a little better then this is a very good indication that the electrical active damping control is working correctly while driving. But the problem is another component binding in the shocks. I have had this same problem with a Yukon Denali with the same suspension system and the seals in the shocks were the fault and all 4 needed replacement.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
NEW SHOCKS COMING TUESDAY WILL UPDATE YOU ONCE DONE THANKS