sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I have a 2005 Cadillac STS. Battery went dead from sitting

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Cadillac STS. Battery went dead from sitting too long. I do not have a key for the door lock, only two lock fobs. I got in the car through one of the back doors by sneaking in through the door frame with a coat hanger and pulling up on the door lock knob. Popped the hood and charged the battery. Car is dead, nothing lights up on the dash at all, door locks don't unlock with the fobs. The dome lights come on inside, that's it. Nothing else works. Disconnected battery and reconnected after about an hour. Replaced both key fob batteries.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It's possible that there is a deeper electrical issue but if the battery had died from sitting an extended time and there weren't any problems before then you may just have a battery issue now. It's possible that there is a power distribution, wiring or cable problem but in many cases a battery will fail to the point it can't be charged.

The first thing I would recommend is making sure the battery cables, engine and visible chassis grounds are clean and tight. Also make sure fuses are good. If ok then the next thing I would recommend is either swapping in a known good battery or having this battery load tested. Most big chain parts stores and even Wal-Mart will load test batteries for free.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Your answer sucks. That is basic stuff, done all of that. The problem is the Cadillac anti-theft system. I need t know how to reset the system without having the door key. All I have are the key fobs. If you don't have an answer for that then you have done nothing to help me and I want a refund.

Unfortunately I don't have a way of knowing what has been done and what has not unless it is posted on this page.

Pressing the unlock button on the key fob will disarm factory security, but your problem is not related to factory security. Factory security does not produce any of the symptoms you have described.

Do you have a digital voltmeter?